Heading to florida

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
I have A/C and a Honda 2000i to run it. You will need it on the Gulf Coast until late October. Clean the filter screen weekly when the water temperature is above 80 degrees. If the compressor locks up (mine is under the forward V-berth), tap it with a stick. Mine has stuck once in three years. If after cleaning the filter you cannot pump water, open the line on the compressor side of the water pump and bleed the air out of the line. When it sprays you in the face with water, the air is gone.

How far west are you going? From Tampa to Panama City you will need to go open water. It takes two to three days, depending upon weather. Be 20 nm off shore at Cape San Blas. It gets shallow and the waves can build up. You can duck into Apalachicola if need be, but be sure you have current charts. The sand moves about. After reaching Panama City or Apalachicola, GCIW runs inside all the way to Brownsville.
You will find current charts on your chart plotter to be most helpful. Useful information may be found here:
http://www.offshoreblue.com/cruising/gicw-intro.php

There are five (5) C-310s on Choctawhatchee Bay. Stop by and say hello!

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
We are traveling from Cape Coral florida to Chattanooga TN. We tried the a/c with our Honda 2000 but it didn't work. We bought another one and connected the two...now we have air. Ours is in the starboard locker in the vberth. Condensation has caused a bit of mildew/ mold. Musty smelling.

We have a good friend who has done the crossing so we do understand what we are up against. We will certainly wait for a good weather window before leaving. Thanks for the info.

Our auto pilot also seems to want to go off track. Any suggestions?

The diagram is fantastic and will be very helpful.

Thanks.

KZW

May 17, 2014
- Autopilot. I've found mine gives up at about 12 knots true going to weather. When running it doesn't like the roll as waves go by and gives up early. Don't count on it. It works just fine when motoring.
- Honda. My i2000 works fine in normal mode. In "eco" mode the generator down speeds until there is an electrical demand. Alas, start up of the A/C compressor causes a big demand spike and the generator doesn't respond fast enough - causing the compressor to quit and the A/C to shut down. It will run about 6.5 hours on a full tank in normal mode. I run it for a couple of hours in the evening to charge batteries, then close up and run the A/C to cool things down (it takes a while with the water as warm as it is), then shut down, refill the tank, start it up, and go to bed.
- I suggest you obtain a small dehumidifier. Mine runs at the dock 24/7, and I run it whenever the generator is running. I use this one:
https://www.amazon.com/Ivation-Powe...&qid=1504467149&sr=8-46&keywords=dehumidifier
Keep the power supply on the stainless steel stove top. It runs warm.
- I assume you will be heading north from Mobile Bay up the Tennessee Tombigbee waterway. There are several channels at the head of the bay. Be sure you study the charts to select the correct one. The route implies a lot of motoring, especially in the ditch from Panama City to Choctawhatchee Bay. Ask the PO when the stuffing box was last repacked and what they packed it with. Check the drip of the shaft stuffing box. You can put a finger on the nut while the engine is running. You want to ensure it doesn't get hot. Mildly warm is OK (If you can keep your finger on it for 30 seconds or more without any discomfort from the heat, you should be OK). You can check the shaft as well, but be very careful and use a light touch. Carry extra fuel filters (engine and Racor). Check the Racor for water and or bugs after running the engine for an hour or so. Check it often on the trip. The fuel will gravity feed until the tank gets just below 1/2 full. Then you will find out if your fuel pump is working. At 3600 rpm, I burn under 0.8 gal/hr and make 5.8 - 6 knots in flat water. If there is wave action and the engine shuts down after a bit, check the filters. If the tank is dirty, wave action stirs up the sludge at the bottom of the tank and clogs the filters.
- If you have sail or rig issues enroute, Hunter Riddle of Schurr sails at Pensacola is very helpful.
- I think I have all the applicable manuals in electronic format. Post if you need something.
- This forum is great and I learn something new every day.

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
Ok...trying to figure this out on my own but no luck...sink won't drain! Help

KZW

May 17, 2014
Did you open the seacock? it is located in the cabinet directly under the sink. Open door to trash can, remove plastic trash can, reach down, forward, and slightly left. See the orange symbol by the sink in the diagram I sent.

BTW, all seacocks should normally be closed, unless they are in use. (I keep the engine raw water seacock open when I'm sailing should I need to start the engine at short notice). Keep the others closed unless you are using that feature (sink drains, A/C water intake, head raw water intake, macerator). Note: I've changed my head pluming for fresh water flush. Head raw water seacock is only open when draining the shower or refrigerator. Your plumbing in the head may be different than mine, depending upon the year your boat was built.

KZW

May 17, 2014
If you are going to head west, you must depart now. Do not delay. Of course, Irma's track could move further west if you move west. It is forecast to be a category 4 hurricane as it moves up the west coast of Florida. Your goal will be to get upriver toward Tennessee before the hurricane arrives. If it finds you while you are in open water, you die. If you choose to stay, find a hole and lots of long lines to tie her up.

Attachments

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
Our plan was to leave first thing in am...engine just rumbled, lost power...we turned it off. Gage says we have a 1/4 of tank. We have tow boat here now but they don't know anyone that works on boats right now...we are hoping clogged filters....not sure what we will do

KZW

May 17, 2014
Check the Racor, which should be under the rear bunk in the lowest part of the fuel line, but some boats have them on the engine bulkhead. It should be obvious if there is water or algae. If the filter is clear, put in 2-4 gallons of diesel in the tank. Give it a few minutes too gravity feed, then start the engine and see if it runs. Run the throttle at 3/4 max for a few minutes. If no issues, suspect the fuel pump.
Do not stay on the boat during a tropical storm or hurricane. There is nothing you can do on the boat during a storm except be terrified or worse.

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
We have a diesel mechanic coming in the morning and then we will do the crossing. Should be finished with the crossing by Wednesday...I understand we have a good weather window Tuesday and Wednesday...once we get up to appalachacola, not sure what we will do.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Given the current forecast, always subject to change, You want to go as far west as you can in the ensuing days.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Also check the tank if it's the filter and make sure the tank doesn't have more gunk in it and when you go again that more gunk clogs again.
Nick

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I am confused. @Mirwin - Are you headed to FLorida, as the title of the thread says, or are you headed inland on the Ten-Tom system?

I don't know that I would be trying to get to Florida right now. By this time next week, it is likely to look like Houston does now. If you are safe where you are, why head towards a bad situation (irrespective of making the passage)?

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
Sorry for your confusion...this thread started out as we were headed to Florida to look at a boat. Several have followed this thread so I've stayed here. We bought the boat in Cape Coral and are now trying to get her home to Chattanooga. We are currently at marker 1 marina south of tarpon springs waiting on a diesel mechanic. Once finished we will do the crossing with the plan of getting to appalatchacola on Wednesday....I hope this clears things up☺

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
That would explain the Tenn-Tom.

Ok, the motor is likely to be important for the first 100 miles or so, as not much wind in forecast in the area between Cape Coral and Tarpon Springs for the next two days. It looks better to the north and west, so you should hit sailable wind in that region. This is a decent window to go. I would be tempted to go direct to Pensacola. I did it twice last summer in the opposite direction, and it was about 70 hours motorsailing in 37 foot boats. You are sailing away from the storm, so that should buy you a few hours, but you need to go now.

Mirwin

Jul 29, 2017
Catalina 310 Hixson
Thanks..,the diesel mechanic will be here in a few minutes. We are close to tarpon springs. We were just told hurricane pass is no longer navigable....

KZW

May 17, 2014
I hope your engine is fixed and you are on your way. The C-310 fuel tank is rated for 27 gallons. Let us assume 25 gal are usable.
Options are:
Carrabelle. 140nm, 28 hours at 5 knots, 22 gallons. Motoring all the way burns 22 gallons. This is the fastest route to get inside. From here go to Apalachicola and take the GCIW west. You will need to motor until you get to Panama City and the bay. Depart in a morning and be there at mid-day the next day to make the approach in full daylight. I don't know how experienced you are at sailing or if you've been in open water. The is probably the safest, but you will need to move west soonest upon arrival.
Panama City. 210 miles, 42 hours at 5 knots, 34 gallons burned. You will need 3 x 5 gal jerry cans to motor all the way. Reasonable approach. Depart late morning to arrive morning two days later. No issues with bridges.
Destin. 240 nm, 48 hours, 38 gallons. Again depart in the morning to arrive at the Destin East Pass in full daylight. The pass is framed by two rock jetties. It is relatively narrow and can build waves if the tide is moving against the wind. The Marler bridge has 48 ft clearance. The top of your mast, not including any antennas, is 46.5 ft from the water. This would not be my choice due to the pass.
Pensacola. 270 nm, 54 hours, 43 gallons. You will need to sail a significant distance, or carry 4 x five gallon jerry cans. Sailing may or may not be in straight line and you may not be able to average 5 knots VMG (you might do better). The approach to the bay is reasonable. There can be large shipping traffic. Depart Tarpon Springs at midnight to arrive in the morning two days later. Plan on being sleep deprived upon arrival. If you've never been in open water, this would not be my choice.
If you do Carrabelle, Panama City, or Destin, you will need to pass under the Brooks Bridge in Ft Walton Beach. Clearance is listed as 48 ft. Well, maybe. Plan on 47.5. Heel the boat. I have a 1.5 ft whip on top of my mast and have pinged it off the bottom of the bridge on three different occasions. The bridges at Navarre, Pensacola Beach, and Perdido Key are all an honest 48 ft or higher.
Good Luck!