Head with deck pump-out?

Jul 28, 2016
Has anyone installed a deck pumpout on their porta-potti? Coming from a bigger boat with a marine head, I am used to pumping the holding tank, and really don't want to get into schlepping a porta-potti tank off the boat to be emptied ashore. I know most of the newer port-pots have an option for a deck pump-out, but given the position of the head in the Capri, I am not sure how one would route the pump-out hose, or locate the deck pumpout. This would be a Mark 1 boat BTW.

Thanks

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
I thought about it briefly and discarded the idea. I can take off the top of my Porta potti and just take the lower part out. Mine has the option for a pump out. No one other than my wife is allowed to use it anyway....

I guess you could cut a hole into the side of the enclosure and another cut on the top to route the pump out line to the deck/walkway next to the front hatch....

But another potential hole/leak later on....

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
Considering the space available where the portable toilet is normally located, the (essentially) vertical pump-out pipe would pretty much run up somewhere up in front of the forward hatch. It would interfere with using the v-berth.

I would suggest adding extra hand sanitizer and paper towels if you are concerned about simply carrying the portable toilet to the cockpit for pumping.

Don't forget that the total volume of waste is quite small relative to a "big boat" permanent head.

Jul 28, 2016
Thanks for the replies. A couple of my crew are female. They tend to frown on hanging it off the transom! I realize it is a small volume of waste, but at my marina, the restrooms are a long way from my slip. Just not fond of loading the holding tank into the car, for transit to the restroom. But that may remain the best option.

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 278 Lyndeborough NH
delling3 said:
...I realize it is a small volume of waste, but at my marina, the restrooms are a long way from my slip. Just not fond of loading the holding tank into the car, for transit to the restroom. But that may remain the best option.
That's what the hand cleaner is for!

A corollary to "You pack it. You carry it." :mrgreen: