Head Stay Length

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS MkII Milwaukee
I am planning on installing a new Furler.
So, I want to install a new Head Stay as well. Which creates the question, How long is the Stay? Do I use the dimension/length given in my owners manual ?? I have seen differing lengths listed on other web-sites.
If I order from Catalina Direct, what information will they use, and what length would they send? They just have the part listed with no length given.
Do I need to take down the stay, measure it, and send that info. Or better yet take it down, and go to a local rigger and have it made the same length? Do these things stretch over time?
I am hoping I could get a new stay, install the extrutions and furler, take down the old system and install the new one, going up the mast in a chair only once. But like every other thing on a boat, that may be a "lofty" goal !!

Oct 5, 2010
Catalina 30 mkII St. Augustine
Most riggers would like you to send the old stay so they can measure for themselves. You can get a marine eye on the top and use a Norsman on the bottom and cut the stay to size yourself and install the Norsman fitting yourself. Any way you look at it I think two trips up the mast will be required.

Oct 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS MkII Milwaukee
Ya,That's exactly what I'm thinking, two trips up the mast. Nothing is ever easy.... : -}

Status
Not open for further replies.