Head Sail Furler for my Hunter 23

Oct 12, 2021
Hunter 23 Santa Cruz harbor
Need recommendation for head sail furller system. My new partner does not like the hanked headsail and I am wondering which fullers work well on that narrow bow with that anker door thingy. Please Advise. Gene Frost

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As a former dealer for Hunter on the 23 wing keel, I would suggest the Crusing Design or CDI FF2 Furler. It has an internal jib halyard within the furler which you do not have to contend with halyard wrap. Customer service too is good.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Mine has a Harken furler and I'm not familiar with the CDI. However, I don't think you have to worry about the narrow anchor loker - I doubt any furler drum will fit in there, if that is your concern. You will likely need stainless tangs that attach to the upper chainplate, the proper length so the lower end of the furler drum is a few inches above the closed locker door. I assume you'll have to shorten the forestay.

Sep 29, 2008
hunter 240 Dewey beach, De
Have been using a CDI furler for around 20 years on my 1998 H 240. When you get it you can cut it to match the length of the fore stay.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@hunter240

The forestay chain plate is on top of the deck of the 240while the chainplate for the wing keel 23 is located down in the anchor locker. It be is hard to run the line from the drum sitting inside the anchor locker. Plus a jib pennant would be required which is not good with the drum in the anchor locker. Thus the extended tangs for the furling drum be on top of the deck with the forestay that needs to be shortened.