Head replacement

Apr 28, 2021
Catalina 310 269 Frenchman’s Bay
Hi everyone,
I recently purchased a 2004 310 with a Wilcox Crittenden head and Jabsco electric conversion. Bottom line is I hate it! Noisy, power hungry and unreliable. I would really like to change it to a Jabsco manual. Any advice? Also, anyone here attempt to replace the sanitary hose to the holding tank?

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Yes several, this thread has most info on length.

This is my conversion.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
+1 for the Raritan version over the Jabsco. Also replaced the hoses and very happy with how that turned out. Not an easy job, but not the worse I’ve done-that was replacing the manual bilge pump hose.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Not surprised that you hate that Jabsco "conversion"... "Noisy, power hungry and unreliable" would be the perfect description for it if it also included the price the PO paid for it, which was at least $100 more than they could have bought the top rated Raritan SeaEra electric conversion. Raritan SeaEra Conversion Promo Sheet

If you really do want to revert to another manual, the Raritan PH SuperFlush is the top rated manual Raritan PH SuperFlush Promo Sheet Yes, it will cost you more than a new Jabsco pump. But unlike Jabsco, it'll provide 20-25 years of reliable service if you just keep it well lubricated, replace the joker valve at least annually and put a rebuild kit (about $60) in it every 5-6 years. You can buy the complete toilet for only $100 more than the pump assembly JRT refers to.

As for new hoses...this is the only hose I recommend: Raritan SaniFlex RaritanSaniFlex hose Not only has it proven to be 100% odor permeation resistant (it has a 10 yr warranty against it), but it has the added advantage of being so flexible it can be bent almost as tight as a hairpin without kinking, which makes most jobs a LOT easier! Available in 1" and 1.5" for < $10/ft.

--Peggie

Apr 28, 2021
Catalina 310 269 Frenchman’s Bay
Thanks Peggie. I appreciate the advice on the toilet but I already have a new Jabsco toilet that came with the boat (uninstalled). It's the same toilet I had in my C270 and it worked reliably for years. Thanks for the tip on the hose, having a more flexible one will certainly make the job easier.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I appreciate the advice on the toilet but I already have a new Jabsco toilet that came with the boat (uninstalled).
But you'll still wind up tearing it out in a few years just to replace it with a Raritan PH Superflush unless you don't mind the repeatedly leaking Jabsco :banghead:.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
But you'll still wind up tearing it out in a few years just to replace it with a Raritan PH Superflush unless you don't mind the repeatedly leaking Jabsco :banghead:.
And for little more than the cost of 2 replacement Jabsco pump assemblies, you can have a toilet that'll last, not years, but decades if you just do the minimal maintenance I described.

But...your boat, your money.

--Peggie

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Hi everyone,
I recently purchased a 2004 310 with a Wilcox Crittenden head and Jabsco electric conversion. Bottom line is I hate it! Noisy, power hungry and unreliable. I would really like to change it to a Jabsco manual. Any advice? Also, anyone here attempt to replace the sanitary hose to the holding tank?
Yes, get a Raritan manual flush. Way better than a Jabsco.

Greg

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
I put in a Raritan PHII three years ago. Straight forward installation and reused the WC bowl. Much better operation and easier to service.