Head Odor

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jerry Purdy

We always have a head odor on our Oceanis 321. We have tried various types of enzyme products and head deodorizers without any luck. Even the one that claims “Absolutely no Head Odor”!!! We flush the tank with water regularly and always pump the holding tank prior to leaving the boat for any period of time. The problem seems to be worse when the holding tank is empty. Any suggestions?

S

Steve Jaffe

Jery- I could have written that posting myself! We have the same problem on our 321. But Jose Venegas's response was only to check out Peggie the "head Princess" at the Sailboats.com website and I could't find any references to the problem there. Have you made any headway from Jose or anybody else regarding this problem? Regards, Steve Jaffe (sljaphe@aol.com)

J

Jose Venegas

Odor can come..

from the holding tank or tubes leaking, or from permeated tubes. To determine whether the tubes are permeated Peggie recommends to scrub the tubes with a wet towel and smell the towel for odor. If the odor comes from permeated tubes (most likely, you can click in the link of my posting to find what I did to eliminate the permeation odor from the tubes of my 361: namely wrapping them with aluminum tape. The original posting describes what I did and there was a long discussion about concerns that Peggie raised about using aluminum tape. As far as I am concern, she did not really bring any good arguments not to use the tape. I can report that in my boat the odor went away and has not come back in one year. Good luck

J

Jerry Purdy

Clorox

Jack, What did you do with the clorox? Did or do you pour it into ther head and then flush it into the system, leaving the solution sit in the hoses for a while? Did or do you use it every time you flush the head? How long do you allow the clorox to remain in the hoses and tank? Can the clorox damage the hoses and or tank?

J

Jerry Purdy

Steve, Hope you have seen Jose's latrest response. It has all the info from Peggie.

J

Jack

Clorox in the head after weekend

Jerry, Sorry for the delay, I haven't been at this site in a while. At the end of the weekend,what we did was pour about a quart of clorox in the head, fill the rest with fresh water, let sit a short while, then pump dry and go home. We did this last year on our 10 year old B370 with Lectrasan and holding tank. The clorox kills the enzimes that make the smell. Pure and simple. Don't be shy about using it. You may need more to "jump start" your problem, then once it's under control, you can cut back little at at time. Good luck, Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.