Head Issue Discovered

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
Decades ago, the PO had installed speakers on the forward bulkhead by cutting 4” X 6” holes. When I got around to replacing them, I discovered the reason my recently replaced head wasn’t functioning properly.

IMG_20181015_105815.jpg

I am trying to figure out the best way to get access to the fitting. The distance to the vent line is about three feet from the starboard speaker cut out in the bulkhead.

One option that comes to mind would be to cut a bigger hole in the bulkhead then install shelves to recover some of that wasted space. My question there is one of compromising the structural integrity that the bulkhead provides.

The simplest solution would be to cut a 4” hole in the V berth rear bulkhead then install a cover plate after the job is done.

Would anybody body have another solution that doesn’t involve cutting holes in my boat?

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
I think you should cut the hole and install the cover plate. Not a structural concern if the hole doesn't cut into the bulkhead's fiberglass tabbing to the hull.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I think I see another problem that should be corrected while you're in there: corrugated hose. That hasn't been used in sanitation systems in at least 30 years because the industry learned that the "ribs" collect bits of whatever passes through 'em. In fact, both those hoses--ALL the hoses in the system--should be replaced if they're anywhere near as old as they appear to be. The working life of any hose is only about 10 years because rubber and plastics dry out with age, becoming hard, brittle and prone to cracking and splitting. That's not something you want to happen to a hose full of sewage and definitely not to any hose connected to a below waterline thru-hull.
--Peggie

Jan 8, 2015
Thanks Peggie,
I am sure these are the original hoses due to the difficulty in gaining access to them. The boat is 1983 model. I have replaced the hoses going to and from the toilet. I just need to get past cutting up my new to me boat to gain access to the fittings. When I do, I’ll change the vent size to 1” as you recommend. Should the vent line be replaced with saniflex as well, or would reinforced tygon be adequate?

Jan 8, 2015
Shields or Trident #148 sanitation hose (flex PVC) will be ok for both the vent line and toilet intake line.
--Peggie
OK, last question. If the tank vent has a smaller nipple, what is the best way to connect the 1" vent hose?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Install a new 1" fitting in the tank. It's actually pretty easy, thanks to a li'l doodad called the Uniseal UNISEAL They DO NOT leak when installed correctly! Use a hole saw to cut a clean round hole in the top of the tank, insert the Uniseal (directions will be included)...and use a short piece of pvc pipe or a pvc 90 ( available from the plumbing departmentat any decent hardware store) that has an OD (outer diameter) to fit into a 1" hose.
Best to actually TALK with the folks at the Uniseal Warehouse when you order it make sure you make the hole exactly the right size and get the right size Uniseal.
--Peggie

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Install a new 1" fitting in the tank. It's actually pretty easy, thanks to a li'l doodad called the Uniseal UNISEAL They DO NOT leak when installed correctly! Use a hole saw to cut a clean round hole in the top of the tank, insert the Uniseal (directions will be included)...and use a short piece of pvc pipe or a pvc 90 ( available from the plumbing departmentat any decent hardware store) that has an OD (outer diameter) to fit into a 1" hose.
Best to actually TALK with the folks at the Uniseal Warehouse when you order it make sure you make the hole exactly the right size and get the right size Uniseal.
--Peggie
I can vouch for that. Used one when I installed a larger holding tank on the 367. Looking at the thing I wasn’t completely convinced that it was going to seal, but it did.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
I can vouch for that. Used one when I installed a larger holding tank on the 367. Looking at the thing I wasn’t completely convinced that it was going to seal, but it did.

I'm sure you watched that to find-out if that fitting did it's job. Having helped a few friends (I wouldn't do it for anyone else) with holding tank "woes", I can feel your angst until you're sure it worked :^))))

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
It's not just DIY gadget...It's used in a lot of applications by a lot of companies...Dometic/SeaLand is one...they use a Uniseal for their diptube retrofit kit.

About the only place I wouldn't use one is as discharge fitting at the bottom of a tank--any tank, not just waste. Anywhere above the surface of the contents--tank inlet, vent--is fine. It's definitely made adding and/or relocating fittings a LOT easier than it used to be! There is one thing that can cause it to leak: a hose or pipe that's pulling to one side (i.e. using a straight hose fitting where a 45 or 90 is needed), creating enough stress to break the seal.
--Peggie