Head hose replacement

Dec 29, 2017
Beneteau Oceanis 411 Baltimore
I wanted to get the thoughts of the community on a potential warranty claim. My new to me Oceanis 41.1 is under warranty for s few more months. One of the issues is a slight smell coming from the head lines to the tank. While they did not fail the Peggy Hall test, the broker is suggesting that I replace. Would anyone in this forum consider this a reasonable warranty claim?
And for those that have done this job in the past, is this one of those tasks that’s best subbed out to mechanic? It doesn’t seem like too much work, just messy.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
1. How old are the hoses ?

is this one of those tasks that’s best subbed out to mechanic?
2. Not messy if you methodically rinse out the hoses first. A slow ass busting process if you're into that sort of thing. A complete replacement of all vent and drainage hoses would be worth a small fortune so do it yourself if money is a consideration.

Dec 29, 2017
Should have mentioned, hoses / boat in use 2.5 years. Thanks for the insight Ralph.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Should have mentioned, hoses / boat in use 2.5 years. Thanks for the insight Ralph.
Hopefully, Peggy will respond with an expert’s opinion regarding Beneteau’s responsibility vs the hose manufacturers responsibility. Don’t know what hoses are on your boat, on my 2006 model, Beneteau was using top of the line Trident #102 sanitation hose. Good luck in either case. Are you fresh water flushing after each use? If flushing with seawater only, possible that bacteria in seawater is causing problem. Fresh water flush may help reduce/eliminate problem. Are you thoroughly flushing after each use? Any residual waste in hoses can cause premature permeation if not thoroughly flushed with fresh water after each use and especially before closing/departing the boat. Also possible that odor is coming from holding tank, I doubt if it has an adequately sized diameter vent line. In that case, pumpout after use of the boat with several fresh water tank flushes might help or increase the size of the tank vent.
With regards to DIY vs mechanic, it’s going to cost $150-200 for hose and a minimum of 4 hours labor to change hoses. If you DIY, plan an all day knuckle busting profanity laced day; not pleasant, but certainly doable!

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2017
Are you fresh water flushing after each use? If flushing with seawater only, possible that bacteria in seawater is causing problem. Fresh water flush may help reduce/eliminate problem. Are you thoroughly flushing after each use? “

I think that’s where the issue lies Big Easy. Since the toilet is electric flush I believe previous owner only used the seawater coming from the pure waters of the Baltimore Inner Harbor. My plan for the future was to use seawater for flushes during the day, but final flush at end of day use the shower head. Additionally, add a deodorant / bacteria eating product into head for lines / holding tank on a weekly basis. If I go the route of changing the hoses I’ll probably add in freshwater flush.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
In a general sense warranties do not cover maintenance issues. If there were something defective about the hose - maybe. But I don't know how you would prove that. Give it a shot. The worst that can happen is that they will say no.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
My first question: what brand/"model" is the hose? You said they passed the hot wet rag test...so how can you be 100% certain hoses are the source of the odor? Is the odor pervasive throughout the boat, or local to one area? There are several possible sources for odor INSIDE a boat...when, if ever, have you cleaned the bilge(s)--really CLEANED them, NOT just dumped in some bilge cleaner, added water and let it slosh around a while, then turned on the bilge pump?

We need to talk 'cuz I have a bunch more questions that need answers before I can answer you question about any kind warranty claim...so how 'bout sending me a PM? We can report our findings back to the forum when we know the source of your odor for certain.

--Peggie

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Also possible that odor is coming from holding tank, I doubt if it has an adequately sized diameter vent line.
How many times have I posted that the tank, unless it's leaking, is rarely if ever the source of odor INSIDE a boat, 'cuz odor from inside a tank only has one place to go: out the vent??? A larger vent line can only reduce or even eliminate odor OUT THE VENT!

--Peggie