Head Door Vent

May 11, 2014
Catalina 310 Lake Texoma
Recently I took action against a long standing problem of not enough ventilation in the head of our Catalina 310. I decided that a good sized vent low in the head door should help. My hope is that air flowing over the outside of the open head window while underway should draw air from the cabin salon and through the head to the outside. I'll let you know how it works after the fall sailing season.

Finished project
1_Finished IMG_0011.jpeg

Rough cut Vent
2_RoughCutVent IMG_5093.jpeg

Interior view, (plexiglass interior flange holds the vent in place)
3_InteriorFlange IMG_5105 .jpeg

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Beautiful wooden vent cover.

The real test will be how it vents while at anchor when the head sees more usage. Just make sure all opening ports and vents are open to pressurize the cabin relative to the head.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Venting the head is a good idea.
Depending on your head systems, this may not be a solution.
Check the head hardware, inspect the effluent hose for permeation (stink seeping through the hose), check all the connections and hose clamps. Additionally your tank vent maybe plugged. This needs to be open to exchange air and vent the tank.

A good idea would be to read all the messages here by @Peggie Hall HeadMistress and or get her book here in the SBO Store.

Fresh smells….

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Thanks for the "plug" for my book, John! I have a couple of questions:
Is the head always a bit "ripe,' or only lingering after after a solids "deposit?
If only a lingering odor, are you adding water to the bowl ahead of use? If your toilet isn't designed to bring in water and hold it, use a use a couple of beer cups full of water from the sink. A joker valve that isn't worn will help it stay in the bowl longer. After use, lighting a match is old tried and true trick to kill lingering odor...keep a book of matches in the for this purpose.

If your head is always a bit "ripe," that's most likely to be either permeated sanitation hose or a shower sump in serious need of cleaning. The sump can be cleaned, replacement is the only cure for permeated hoses.

A vent in the head door may be a mixed blessing...a source of air and an escape for any odors. And btw, I'd put it high in the door, not down low. I suggest you alsinstall a solar exhaust vent with fan in the head port hole.

Any questions?

--Peggie