HDPE Rudder Update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 6, 2004
- - Philadelphia, PA
This is a follow-up to a rudder discussion held earlier this year. I purchased a HDPE blade rudder from IdaSailor Marine (www.idasailor.com) to replace my stock kick-up rudder. We've had the boat out twice so far with the new rudder. We've noticed reduced tiller effort, reduced weather helm, improved low speed performance when docking, and VERY responsive. We did a test sail in 12-15 knot sustained winds, with gusts over 25 knots under full main only. We didn't round up. Instead we heeled and accelerated with light tiller effort. We have more sailing to do to get a more complete sense of the differences, but at this stage we are very pleased. This rudder is also offered through the Chandlery section of the Catalina Owners website. The original goal was to install a no-maintenance rudder (solid HDPE). I was pleasantly surprised to get the performance enhancement as a bonus. Anyone in the market for a kick-up rudder?

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 250 Wing Keel Eugene, OR
Thanks for the update

It's good to hear that the HDPE rudder works well. It is much less expensive than the standard rudder so your report is good news. People should be aware, though, that the HDPE rudder is not allowed in certified C22 races. Thanks for the update. Randy

Kip C

Jun 5, 2004
Catalina 25 Cincinnati, Ohio
Rudder For Sale

Tony, I'm about to buy a 1984 cat 22 that has a cracked rudder. Would your old rudder fit the 84'? If so, you can e-mail me at casamodoprop@yahoo.com . Thanks, Kip

Jun 3, 2004
Catalina 250 Wing Keel Eugene, OR
Rudder info

I think that Tony's was cracked too. It is very common. My 86 C22 rudder had a crack and one day during a sail it broke in half. The inside wood was rotten. The new Catalina ruddrs have a foam interior and the HDPE ones are solid plastic sp both are big imprrovements over the old wood core rudders. I'd advice you to get a new one now or be wiling to take the risk of having it break while you are sailing.

Status
Not open for further replies.