Haverstraw NY. to NJ. info

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBee

Dec 30, 2008
Irwin 34 Citation Middle River, Md.
We should be able to get some sailing time in before the trip. I didn't mean to imply that the motor is questionable. I believe it is fine. I only meant to convey the frustration with the deal, ' The boats for sale while it's on the hard but as soon as it's launched it will be off the market ' Depending on cost, I could keep the boat at the marina it's at now for a few weeks and make the 3.5 hour drive a few weekends to sail then when confident of the boat and me, make the trip. I was just trying to avoid that extra cost, but I suppose it would be the safe approach.

MrBee

Dec 30, 2008
Maybe the best thing would be to Buy one of the two Irwin 10/4 's on the Chesapeake bay and do the updating myself over a few years.
This is all becoming more stressful than fun .

Bee

Mike B

Apr 15, 2007
Beneteau 43 Baltimore, MD
Bee not sure how much sailing you've done or if any of it has been on the ocean. The ocean is no big deal if you're cruising down the coast. We were out of two NJ sites for apx 6 yrs, Atlantic City (Absecon Inlet) and Ocean City (Great Egg Inlet). The nicest part is the wind is usually either off shore or off land. It makes for a nice broad reach right down the coast. The only thing that ever bothered us was a following sea in the form of rollers. It used to make the wife and sometimes myself a tad green around the gills. The answer is to just change course a bit. It forces you to tack every now and then but with all the room in the world who cares? If you have a weather window with winds in the 10-15kt range you'll be fine. If it pipes up above that then it'll get choppy on you. With the short distances you plan on running you should be able to plan ahead and avoid anything uncomfortable. Bottom line this shouldn't have you stressed out.

Mike B

Apr 15, 2007
Bee, one other comment about your trip. Do your best to time your exit and entry through the inlets at or close to slack tide. Avoid max flood or ebb, especially in Barnegat and Great Egg Inlets. There's just a lot of water flowing through and it can make the trip take forever if you're running against it. If you're running with it picking out breaking water ahead of you is tough.

MrBee

Dec 30, 2008
I do have have some Coastal Ocean experience, mostly on fishing boats but some on sail. That part is not what stresses me out. I have been looking forward to the trip and a friend of mine has also, he would help me for the week trip. I never dealt with brokers before, always bought right from the owner and the boat was smaller and on a trailer. It's that part that is starting to be no fun... Ask the broker... Broker ask owner... broker tells me..Ask the broker...round and round. It's really the part about buying the boat that is starting to be a pain, Once that is worked out, if it gets worked out, from my point of view the trip will be great. I been in rough weather before and tricky situations, not saying I like it but that IS part of the experience.
I did the DelMarVa 400 several years ago, on a Gib Sea 41. I don't think they run the DelMarVa as a Really any more.

Thanks for all your insight.

Brian

Mike B

Apr 15, 2007
Gotcha. Certainly the broker, puchase piece is a lot more stressful. We just traded in on a new boat in the fall and while the broker was great the banks were a PITA. The good thing is we got through it all and now are waiting to get launched. Maybe this week. Good luck with the buying process and enjoy the trip if it all comes to pass.
Mike

Jun 2, 2004
Oday 35 Staten Island, NY
Hello all.
Hoping for a little help with some info here. My wife and I will be looking at a few boats that are canidates for purchase and they are on the Hudson above NY City. Could be looking at a few in CT also. If we choose one of these boats we would need to Sail / Motor it back to the Chesapeake bay . I have the proper charts what I need is local info such as where to anchor / Moore. Example of what i'm thinking is a run down the Hudson out past Sandy point NJ and down the Coast to Delaware Bay. I have an example trip charted out in my Nav software.
Down the Hudson into SandyHook Nj. for the night. = 52 Miles

SandyHook to Barnegat inlet. = 51 miles

Barnegat Inlet to CapeMay = 62 miles

CapeMay to Reedy Island (Anchor here, at the mouth of the C&D on Delaware side. ) = 57 miles

Reedy Island to Perryville, Md = Home = 34 miles.

I know these are some long distances. What i'm looking for are other places in between
that we can stop at. A marina would be nice for a night or two but anchoring is ok also.
The longest stretch will be down the coast to CapeMay.

Thanks for any and all help.

Brian

I bought my Oday 322 in Haverstraw, and sailed/motored her to her then-homeport in Fair Haven, NJ -- about 60 or so miles -- in a single run of about 9 hours. If you time the current right (which I apparently did), you can be racking up SOG's of 7-8 knots or better without any problem. Sandy Hook is a few miles shorter in distance, and you can either dock or moor overnight at Atlantic Highlands or anchor in Horseshoe Cove.

Roughly halfway between Sandy Hook and Barnegat Inlet is Manasquan Inlet. Inside, you'll find both slip and anchoring options. (As for the former, I'm partial to Brielle Yacht Club.) Inside Barnegat Inlet, I think your best option is to anchor in a spot known as Myers Hole. Good depth, and good holding ground.

In between Barnegat and Cape May, pretty much your only option is Atlantic City (Absecon Inlet). I don't know much about anchoring options there, but marinas abound, if somewhat pricey.

Best of luck. The ride through the city, whether down the Hudson or the East River, is worth the entire trip.

Pete
s/v EmmieLou (Oday 322)
Little Silver, NJ

Jun 7, 2004
- - Toms River, NJ
Brian,
I just picked up a copy of "A cruising Guide to New Jersey Waters" (rev. 2004) by Capt. Donald Launer on Amazon.com It looks like it might suit your purpose regarding transiting NJ if you come inside along the way. Good luck with your purchase and trip.
Jeff

MrBee

Dec 30, 2008
Thanks Capt. Pete and jlenox.
We have bought an Irwin 10/4 and it is located in Rowayton, CT.
just above Stamfort. Looks to be about the same distance from Liberty as Haverstraw is. The boat should be in the water in the next few weeks. We plan to be bringing it down through the first or second week of May. Could be the last week of April.
They have charts onboard for LI sound and liberty area and an LI sound Cruising guide. I will find out exactly what is there when we go up in a few weeks to settle the paper work.
I just hope the weather cooperates. Low pressure system is bad and High is good Right ??
Should be an adventure. A good friend and my Daughter and I should be making the trip.

Brian

Jun 2, 2004
Oday 35 Staten Island, NY
The trip from Rowayton to the Battery (or, for that matter, Sandy Hook) should actually be a bit faster than coming down from Haverstraw. According to Eldridge's, it's 12 miles from Stamford to Execution Rocks, and about 19 from ExRox to the Battery. A helluva lots shorter distance than from Haverstraw, and then you also have the advantage of a much livelier current down the East River than you might on the Hudson.

In any case, it should be a great ride. Make sure the digital camera is fully charged for all the photo ops along the way. And be sure to monitor VHF Ch. 13 -- the one used by commercial traffic -- so you can get a good feel for their intentions, and let them know yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.