Have you made cockpit cushions?

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
I think I might be over thinking this . . .but such is my nature.

I'm committed to making cockpit cushions for my Capri 18 (Having already bought the foam and fabric).

I’ve decided that 4 cushions make more sense than 2, so you don’t have to ask someone to stand up so you can open the lockers. They’d also be easier to shove into the cabin.

The commercially available cushions have a slight curve to them, to accommodate the very slight curve of the seats….but I’m starting to think rectangle cushions would be just fine.

My wife/ first mate/ seamstress says it doesn’t matter to her, ”you cut the foam and I’ll make the covers.”

the seats are so slightly curved that it’s hard to match the curve. Straight seems easier.

thoughts?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I say, let your wife do her thing and you stay out of it. Curved or straight it will be beautiful and insure a happy crew.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I'd fit to the curve. Did it on my last boat. Looked very nice.

SWMBO wanted piping too. That was a sewing learning experience.

Nov 29, 2021
Catalina Capri 18 Colorado
I'd make them with a curve. Shouldn't be too difficult to layout a template using cardboard and get a pretty closely matching fitment.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I made the patterns with heavy news print paper. The curve won't make any difference to the seamstress. If you go with straight, you may want slightly trapezoidal. Make sure both cushions are the same or you'll go crazy always getting them backwards.

-Will

Dec 23, 2008
Catalina 22 Central Penna.
Have made many of my own cushions plus cushions for friends. Yes, make patterns, DO NOT use old cushions for measurements or patterns. Cut foam larger than the patterns. Use Sailrite cushion bottom material to help cushion to breath

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
@watercolors II
cut foam larger than fabric so the cover with be tight? How much larger?

I thought about the mesh bottom fabric from sailrite, my wife said there is no advantage to that - she want's to use the sunbrella fabric on all sides. I ordered the open cell foam.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
On the oversize, I'd go around 1/2" (~1cm) or a bit more. It really depends on the foam and the fabric. Full weight (9oz/yd) sunbrella is pretty stiff, it hides being baggy a bit(although I'd still oversize). The upholstery weight sunbrella will definitely look baggy without oversizing the foam. May be worth a trial piece to see.

Plastic zippers and pulls are mobetta for not dissolving into metallic mush, although the OP appears to be in fresh water.

Having both sides sunbrella gives you the option of flipping them over (since most cockpits are symmetrical) to balance wear/hide stains/etc.