Have Ye Ever Wished To Be a Pirate?

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Did you ever see the movie "How the West Was Won"? That movie made a huge impression on me. The melody from "Greensleeves" was featured in the song "A Home in the Meadow" sung by Debbie Reynolds. This has been my favorite melody for my entire life.
It's funny, when Sue and I were looking for our home, we went to the sales office for "The Meadows" at Panther Valley. I joked that I always wanted a home in the Meadows. I got all weepy eyed and said that sales couldn't miss for anybody my age if they piped this music into the sales office. We did buy our townhouse there and we couldn't be happier! Sue and the sales woman didn't have the foggiest idea what I was talking about and they thought I was nuts for tearing up the way I did!

Jul 30, 2019
Seaward 25 777 Fort St. James
In Britain there is an annual tradition in the festive season called "pantomime" or panto, with multiple of them held at theatres around the country, plus a few on TV. It is vaudeville cross comic opera, and pretty bawdy (think Benny Hill subtle humour!). One traditional panto is Treasure Island, with Long John Silver as the peg-legged pirate. In every show at some point Cap'n Silver shouts "Where are my buccaneers?" To which his motley crew, together with most of the audience will shout in reply "Either side o' yer buccan head!"

Bob

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
In Britain there is an annual tradition in the festive season called "pantomime" or panto, with multiple of them held at theatres around the country, plus a few on TV. It is vaudeville cross comic opera, and pretty bawdy (think Benny Hill subtle humour!). One traditional panto is Treasure Island, with Long John Silver as the peg-legged pirate. In every show at some point Cap'n Silver shouts "Where are my buccaneers?" To which his motley crew, together with most of the audience will shout in reply "Either side o' yer buccan head!"

Bob
Ha! I heard that joke a little differently. A little boy is out trick or treating on Halloween and knocks on the old man's door. "Brick or Breat" the boy says. The old man replies "what?". "Brick or Breat" comes the reply a little more deliberately. "OK" says the man … "little boy, what is your costume?" "I'm a Birate" the boy says. Naturally the man says "what?" "A Birate!". The man's getting a little flustered but plods on … "If you're a pirate, where are your buccaneers?" asks the old man. The boy is getting just as aggravated and retorts (pointing at his ears) "they're right here, what's the matter with your buckin' eyes?"

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Sheet in the main brace there mates.
It be fine trim in fair weather ta dance a jig on the plank, but let's not go overboard.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
View attachment 174110
I wanted to live the life of a pirate, as a kid. (I mean, besides all that killing and robbing and wearing of tattoos). Here I am climbing the shrouds of a pirate ship at the pirate museum in the Florida Keys. They forgot to rig the ratlines all the way to the crow's nest, so I had to shimmy up without them.
How about you, matey? Every do some pirating?

-Will (Dragonfly)
I sure did. But then I decided on engineering rather than business school :)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH

It's the tail switch just before the menacing approach that gets me.

-Will (Dragonfly)

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
What's the point of becoming a pirate if you can't do all that 'killing and robbing and wearing of tattoos'? You just wanna take all the fun outa everything. lol

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
When I was younger, I did a lot of wenching.

Now I'm married and she doesn't like me looking at the other wenches anymore.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
she doesn't like me looking at the other wenches anymore.
For the life of me, I can not imagine why?:liar:
Chatting with, Smiling at, Touching. That I can understand.:biggrin:

I remember even Jimmy Carter shared ...
Democratic presidential candidate Jimmy Carter, who confessed during the run-up to the 1976 election, “I’ve looked on a lot of women with lust. I’ve committed adultery in my heart many times.”

Jul 30, 2019
Seaward 25 777 Fort St. James
When I was younger, I did a lot of wenching.

Now I'm married and she doesn't like me looking at the other wenches anymore.

That means that once you elect one chick to be your wench, you have to hide any rollicking you do with other wenches.
In other words you go from elect chick wench to hide rollickin' wench

Bob

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I was too busy when I was young to think about pirates. After I retired, though, I had the opportunity to do some treasure hunting. I started working with my brother-in-law on his 65' commercial boat, and on one trip, we spent two months in the Dominican Republic digging for treasure. Actually, we were dredging sand from the deck of the Aquaquest. We didn't find any treasure, but it was exciting just the same. We made half a dozen treasure hunts between salvage and surveying jobs, and the excitement never ebbed.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Tom, have you got a picture or two of your activities? It sounds like a lot of fun.
My wife and I go fossil hunting in Florida on occasion and I've been wanting to do some sharks tooth diving off Venice Beach. Sifting sand for treasure.
2016121295115811.jpg

All day all night with Marianne, down by the seashore, she's sifting sand...

-Will (Dragonfly)

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Arr, when I were a lad I lived the life of a pirate.
Well, not quite, but I got to sail like one for a while. I'm the guy in the middle with the white bandanna and that's my sister next to me. She sailed with us for a bit.
Bounty furling.jpg

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
I sailed on the Bounty for about 4 months (from the Mel Gibson/Anthony Hopkins movie, not the Marlon Brando movie). That was a wee while ago, 1990.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Is that "Bounty" still out there? (I know it's not the Brando Bounty that sunk recently)