Have S2 9.2s crossed oceans?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 4, 2012
Hunter 33_77-83 Narrangasett Bay, RI
Can S2 9.2s go anywhere? Has anyone here used one for passagemaking?

I am in the market for a used sailboat and planning on offshore cruising around the Americas and crossing the Atlantic. I've found a beautiful S2 9.2C that is 10k cheaper than other recommended offshore boats I'm looking at, such as the Sabre 34 or Tartan 34 etc. Reviews say S2 were built in high quality. So besides a few design weaknesses that could be improved, such as the huge companionway with no bridge deck, what disqualifies this boat for offshore sailing? Are they really "lake boats" ? I hear both opinions - what would be very helpful is to hear stories from S2 owners that have lived on board, taken on rough weather and perhaps crossed an ocean. Also would appreciate tips on how to retrofit the boat for this project.

Thanks for any info/stories,

Jeremy

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I used to have a 9.2C for a few years and it was a well built boat except for one area. The pedestal wires come out of the pedestal and down to the hull on each side. There are turning blocks that take the wire aft to the quadrant. I was in the middle of Deception pass (goin against) and my whole steering system went totally slack. Got swept back out into the straits doing circles. Finally got things together and made it into Skyline Marina and they were really very gracious about leaving me where I landed. Found out that a turning block on the hull which is under tension had pulled off the hull causing the whole system to go slack. Not a good design as it should be designed to go under compression loads. Skyline marina fortunately had some fiberglass supplies and I cleaned upl the block and reglassed it back down. About this time my crew bailed so brought the boat back in a few days my self. So, with all this rambling, check to see if that condition exists and correct it somehow.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
This type of discussion has been common on the main site. It all depends on your sailing skills, the mods you are wiling to make, and the weather you will sail in. If you are planning to sail in fair weathers and you are experienced then perhaps you will be comfortable with a less than blue water boat. Plenty of people have done passages in less boat than the 9.2C. Plenty of people have died in more boat. My advice would be to find a boat that has just returned and which has been all kitted out already. These hit the market once in a while and although the prices tend to be higher than average for the particular year and model, it is worth it because you are buying all the kit too. Look for boats equipped with wind vane steering, solar panels, etc...etc.... In the long run it is cheaper than to buy a stripped boat and refit it yourself. If you enjoy doing that type of work yourself, I suggest you go in the opposite direction and plan to buy a cheap boat where you will replace absolutely everything yourself. That way you will know exactly how the boat is put together. Personally I wouldn't build a 9.2 for a passagemaker and I own one. I love it and it is a decent boat compared to its contemporaries such as the Hunter 30 and Catalina 30, but a smaller companionway with a bridgedeck and strong small ports would be a must for me. My friend has a Hunter 37 cutter and it is well set up for an inexpensive cruising boat. He stole it for under $20K even though they usually sell for $40. It was built like a tank before hunter cheaped out. There is one in Fall River for under $20K right now, but it needs the some work on the chain plates. Not a bad job though to DIY and you could beef them up while you are at it. I'd be surprised if you couldn't get it even cheaper. www.yachtworld.com/boats/1980/Hunter-37-cherubini-Cutter-2454285/Fall-River/MA/United-States[/url]

Mar 29, 2008
s2 9.2C NJ
My 9.2C, a 1986, does not have that steering setup. I have greased cables in sheathes with no turning blocks necessary. They go right to the quadrant. Depending on year this is not an issue.

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
We owned an S 2 8.5 model which was a great boat but we just outgrew it eventually.
We looked at the 9.2 C as her replacement, but the boat just feels so cramped down below. They just tried to pack too much into a center cockpit design with only 30 feet to work with. The aft cabin even with many ports felt very clousterphobic. I really lliked the ides of a bath with a real shower pan, but it was really disappointing to see her in person. The center cockpit design also has excessive windage due to extreemly high freeboard, and heels a lil more, and is s;ower then the aft cockpit version. In my opinion I would look for a boat a lil bigger which has inherintly more stability with greater keel weight & a longer waterline. S2 made a 11.0 meter 35 footer that was a beautiful classic sailboat, but are expensive & hard to find.

Sep 29, 2011
S2 11.0A Kinsale
S2s are comparable to the typical sailboat produced during the 80's era; Pearson, Catalina, Islanders, etc... Some say (my previous marina, Boatyard Manager), they are nice "lake boats" but then again, there are S2 owners like David who sails out of the Gulf of Mexico heads down to the Caribbean and some offshore. I would prefer to perform the modifications myself so that I know it is done right and what I feel is needed starting with all new standing rigging, increasing the cockpit drainage, etc... all standard modifications that you will most likely need to make.
If you look at most of the live-aboards and cruisers around, they do not have $200k plus sailboats, they are Alberg 37, Spencer 35, Tartan 37, etc... $20k to $60k sailboats.
I would feel comfortable sailing our 11.0a from Chesapeake Bay down or up the coast line without too many design modifications but any extensive offshore sailing, I would make many modifications.
Also all this depends on how long you have been sailing, your experience with rough weather and how much you can fix yourself. They say it is 50% the sailboat and 50% being self reliance; expect the best but prepare for the worse.
Good luck.

Sep 29, 2011
S2 11.0A Kinsale
Referring back to crossing the ocean with a S2, when we purchased our sailboat late last fall, I did as much research as I could on S2(s). There has been many that have sailed offshore and across oceans with S2(s). If you search through this forum and others, you will find some that have sailed from Chesapeake to Bermuda, up the east coast and down to the BIV, crossed the Pacific, crossed the Atlantic, cruising the China Sea, to the Galopagos, Marquises, etc...
Blogs www.wereda.com , www.sbastro.com/sunshine , www.koplinsailing.com , www.travelpod.com/members/hejira (I like this one, 10.3 sailed down the Eastcoast and beyond).

I connected Dave at www.koplinsailing.com and his experience and review of the sailboat sold me on S2(s).

Patrick

Jul 22, 2006
S2 9.2A Battleship Cove
I sail a 9.2A out of E. Greenwich, RI (1 of 3 in my harbor) and from my experience it's a great and comfortable bay and coastal sailer. They are somewhat over built as compared to the competition of the day, but I'm not sure the design is the best choice for crossing oceans.
Our dry-dock neighbor this past spring had an older Douglas 32, which he took back to Maine with him. All told, he paid about the same as we did for our S2. It looked to be a stout ship with an interior designed for sailing and cruising rather than entertaining.
For ocean cruising, I'd rather be sailing one of the older full keel or cutaway fore-foot designs. The heavier, wineglass hull shape is more sea-kindly, which is what you'd want in foul winds and heavy seas.

Status
Not open for further replies.