Have lost key starter on Westerbeke 10-2

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Went to start engine and the key mechanism has disappeared to a small compartment
aft of the panel.. I have the key but the mechanism is missing from the starting panel. does
anyone know the type of mechanism (?) that holds the switch in place.. on a Westerbeke 10-2 .
From the quarterberth I can see a styrofoam box that appears sealed to the back of the panel..Is
this where I will find the missing key mechanism? Thanks for your continuous help... Pat

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Our boat came to us with the key switch previously replaced by a HD push-pull switch. Simple and reliable. The glow plug button was always separate, anyway. Given that those key setups are prone to corrosion, lost keys, broken keys, and etc, such a modification might be something to consider.

ps: looked up info about your yacht club on the 'net. Sounds like a really great group of sailors! The local newspaper writeup was fine reading.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Thank you for the information...I did speak with Bob Bisanti at Westerbeke yesterday about the key mechanism...He was
extremely helpful and stuck with me for about 30 minutes...evidently I'm now missing a chrome plated ring that holds the
key mechanism in place.....question is where is the ring..? ..could have gone down the cockpit drain or could be in the little
waterproof box behind the cockpit that protects all the wiring, etc. from damage due to moisture intrusion...which can easily
happen with the key mechanism missing...thank you for your kind comments about Ninnescah Y.C. Our club is one fine organization with very active learn to sail programs for both adults and children.....we hold learn to sail camps all summer long and have certified instructors teaching the classes...Our club provides the boats for those who need them and the students can check them out anytime they want to sail...after they take the classes. ...the website shows lot's of photos of sailing, racing, and the facilities we have built. Our facilities include a beautiful log clubhouse that our membership paid for as well as built...we lease the land from the BOR....Our membership works closely with the State of Kansas to develop our great facilities including the extensive jetties, etc. We maintain everything. We have a work credit program for those wanting to work to reduce their annual fees and costs.....Over the years we have hosted many national regattas and we were fortunate
to host the Olympic qualifying regattas in the past. Just arriving in the parking lot makes me feel better...Every time! Pat