Hauling a 27' fixed keel

Raspa

Jul 24, 2019
Hunter 27 Lake Norman NC
Alright so since I'm moving my family from NC to SC... with all the expenses linked to a move (new deposit, moving truck etc etc) this is gonna be the story of the cheapest boat hauling you've ever seen... (as long as it's safe for the boat and the people around)
Hold my beer...watch me...

Raspa

Jul 24, 2019
Hunter 27 Lake Norman NC
On a regular basis I used to trailer a Catalina 27 (5 ft draft) without a hoist at any location. Had 2 long poles that were used as an A-frame so a halyard could be used to control raising/lowering the mast. Also equiped the mast with a hinged mast step. The A-frame was long enough to provide leverage and also prevents the halyard from flattening against the mast and becoming useless. As for the trailer, a 50' rope was tied between the trailer and the tow vehicle to be able to get the trailer far enough into the water.

BTW, we had friends trailer their Catalina 30s the same way. We were all on lakes that only had launch ramps and no hoists. For the 30s the owners built their trailers and hinged mast steps. Sometimes we took our boats to the ocean rather than just other lakes.
I like your thinking...
I'm not sure i understood what you used the A frame for ?
I've seen these tutorials where folks are lowering their 27' mast with an A frsme made out of 2x4... are you saying you were using your A frame to also transfer the boat to and from the trailer ? What are your poles made of ?
When it comes to using a launch ramp vs the lake crane i was thinking about doing what you described only using a heavy duty car winch and cable instead of the rope you describe..
Thanks for your post

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Call Paul Wells with Triton’s Yacht Sales in Oriental at 252-249-2002 as he is a sailboat dealer as well as a hauler with a hydraulic trailer. He can handle the mast and tuning as well. I highly recommend him.

Raspa

Jul 24, 2019
Hunter 27 Lake Norman NC
Ok so that's done ... cost : 350$... 20 feet
I"ve got a lil tlc to give to this big mama... welding cross members ro reinforce the chassis... build a cradle on it to receive the boat...
20190806_181156.jpg

Mar 13, 2011
Islander Freeport 41 Longmont
Make a solid bed for the Keel - that is where the bulk of your weight is. Weld Boat Stanchions to the frame to hold the boat upright and add a post at the bow with a winch. Minimum 3 per side. You may need to upgrade tires as well.

Here in Colorado, all our boats are trailered regularly, and we haul boats up to 31 feet with minimal issues. Do check beam since the larger boats may require a wide load permit.

Good luck

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Watch your vertical clearance and plan your route. That trailer bed looks a little high. You might have to modify it with a lower keel bed.

It may not be feasible to lower your mast with an A-frame until you modify the step with a hinged tabernacle. Somehow you have to secure the base while the mast is lowered. I'd guess that you would need assistance from a crane to lower it at least the 1st time.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Will it have brakes? Fender to protect hull from rocks? These are two things I need to do to my trailer if I ever plan to move my boat to another lake. Does your DOT get picky when you put it on the road?
I can't tell on yours, but my tongue jack is a bit wimpy for a 11K displacement boat. I plan to move it to the back of the trailer and install a larger one up front.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Justin and others pointed out some issues. Total load range matches that of all tires plus 10% safety margin. If no brakes do not use trailer. Once it starts swaying cold be loss of boat and death. Seen that before

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Justin and others pointed out some issues. Total load range matches that of all tires plus 10% safety margin. If no brakes do not use trailer. Once it starts swaying cold be loss of boat and death. Seen that before
Yeah, we realize this is a budget move, but any accident that could have been prevented with proper safety measures will be expensive in life and/or property.

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
It's expensive to move a boat but the cheapest would be to hire someone as opposed to buying a trailer. Last time I did it was about a 6 hour drive and it cost me $1000.00 plus expenses but without insurance. You might ask around for folks who do boat work at either lake. They would have a trailer and might be willing to do it.

Raspa

Jul 24, 2019
Hunter 27 Lake Norman NC
Will it have brakes? Fender to protect hull from rocks? These are two things I need to do to my trailer if I ever plan to move my boat to another lake. Does your DOT get picky when you put it on the road?
I can't tell on yours, but my tongue jack is a bit wimpy for a 11K displacement boat. I plan to move it to the back of the trailer and install a larger one up front.
It has electric brakes... i have to connect them though... i plan on buying a brand new tongue jack with the proper load range...
DOT in NC is a major PITA... SC is more accommodating...

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Oh boy. A fixed-keel mast-stepped-on-keel 27 footer is right at the start of what I call 'checkbook sailing'... incurring costs that even an intrepid, mechanically include person cannot avoid. It likely to cost you more to get it on the water at your new lake than the boat cost.

This is why that length is so unpopular... these costs are mostly fixed and a 30 footer would be just about the same.