Hatteras - bomb cyclone

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Reading All-You-Get’s story of coming up the Atlantic this past week; and Capta’s caution regarding the ocean river Gulf Stream, reminded me of the weather phenomena out over the Graveyard of the Atlantic that was hopefully only witnessed by the meteorologists last week - a rare bomb cyclone with a ‘sting jet’. These things are poorly understood but relatively well known as the reason ships disappear on the Cape. 24 millibar pressure drop in 24 hours...possibly 100mph winds, constant and ongoing lightning strikes, at least 6 tornados, and hail likely big enough to take your canvas down. This is really a Nor’easter in birth, and locals know they can pack the punch of a hurricane, and they happen fast.

It happened offshore Ocracoke, 3 April 2019. Read about it here, amazing weather:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/weat...ast-weather-sting-jet/?utm_term=.c05560d8f7b1

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Just when I thought we’d try rounding Hatteras. The boat I traveled with had GPS weather, where would I get that? I have a book at home that was written about barometric readings and bad weather. I’ll have to pull it off the shelf when we get home.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Right now Hatteras has clear skies and a southerly windflow in the teens, building to the 20’s in about 24 hours. You could skip right around it if you were ready to go now.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As a dealer in North Carolina with boats down at the coast and sometimes a satellite office, I know all about those storms and sometimes caught on a boat riding out hurricanes..

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA