Hate to ask - but have a deisel fuel additive question...

Apr 24, 2006
Aloha 32 Toronto, Lake Ontario
Have seen people getting pretty religions about their diesel additives. I'm just curious if anyone has heard of the stuff in my picture below? Came with the boat and it's main claim is encapsulating water so it doesn't clog the filters in winter (made primarily for trucks). Also claims to add lubrication and clean injectors (which they all claim).
I also assume this stuff does not replace the need for a "biocide" ( which the previous owner never used - he just always kept his tanks full and used this stuff).

Thanks,

Chris

image-2048240663.jpg

Nov 8, 2009
Hunter 386LE San Fancisco
Re: Hate to ask - but have a deisel fuel additive question..

Its MSDS composition and flash point indicates it might only be diesel fuel?

Keeping the fuel tank topped off will mitigate water entry and avoid the need to add a biocide.

Sep 26, 2008
- - Noank CT.

Diesel anti gel is just that........Supposed to stop diesel from gelling up in extreme cold. I am talking zero and below so not sure but don't think you will need that and yes you are correct it is mostly for trucks. Extreme cold weather sometimes even called for buying number 1 diesel or adding kerosene to the diesel. As you suspect it will not replace a "biocide". Don't think it could hurt your fuel but not sure it is doing it any good either.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Please don't use MSDS (now SDS) sheets to evaluate functional ingredients in products. They are safety sheets, listing the major components that contribute to hazardous any character. They are not specification sheets and they are not required to disclose minor ingredients who's character is not central to determining physical or toxicity character. Neither are they required (solvents, for example) to disclose exact grades of materials. They are just detailed warnings.

The major ingredient of most fuel additives is the fuel itself or something similar. Not too surprising; other wise they would not blend well.

We really don't know anything about the product without 3rd party testing or side-by-side testing.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Im familiar with the stuff shown.... it is sold as an anti gel additive. as a comparison, aviation grade fuel, or high grade kerosene also adds anti gel properties when added to regular highway grade diesel fuel.

there are better additives if you want to keep the system free of gum and varnish, and there are others that add better lubricity to the fuel to keep the pump lubricated.....

some will do both better than the product shown....

some products may be acceptable for use in a vehicle (like a truck) where there is a high volume of fuel being run thru it on a regular basis, but in a pleasure boat where the fuel consumption is not as high, a bit more discretion should be used in what type of additives we dump in to the tank.

as far as encapsulating the water, that is only a fancy way of saying it absorbs the water and helps it to pass thru the system.

what you DONT want is water passing thru the system. the filters are in place to prevent that, so what would be the point of adding a product that would allow the water to pass thru them?:D
when a product, such as HEET, also known as ethanol, which is an ingredient in the HOWES product is added to the fuel, it will absorb the water molecule and allow it to mix with the fuel for a short time..... then it can bypass the filters and enter into the system.

this would be marginally ok as long as you burn off all the contaminated fuel during the next few hours, but if you shut down and allow the boat to set a week or two, the water molecules begin to come out of suspension as the alcohol ages and can no longer hold it.... then you have a dollop of water setting in the injector pump... or carburetor.

also, any water, encapsulated or not in the fuel will cause the fuel to degrade at an extremely higher rate than it normally would.

ANY product that claims to remove water, encapsulate water, or eliminate water from the fuel system in any other way other than pumping or siphoning it out is a bad idea to consider using... as it may SEEM to help the immediate problem, it has extreme potential to cause more costly repairs a short time later.....

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
ask away!

For diesel, our local pump has now started using Valvetec. I no longer bother with additives.

A friend, five miles away, who uses his local marina's fuel system, has had nothing but trouble for the past two years.

Either he has to use his boat a lot more, check his filters a lot more, or use my fuel stop.

Apr 24, 2006
I keep the tank topped up and use a water separating funnel.
Should I be using any other product and if so, what products are recommended?
Reading the manufacturers websites reminds me of snake oil sales...

Thanks,

Chris

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada

Chris, the Valvetec fuel I mentioned HAS the additives already included.

The basic additives are:

cetane boosters (snake oil IMHO)

lubricity boosters (snake oil IMHO)

BioBor (can't hurt, but included in Valvetec fuel)

Water Zorb (can't hurt, but the urban myth of fuel tank condensation still makes me gag...do a search or Google search on "fuel tank condensation" and you'll see why) I live in an area where it can get into the high 90s during the day, but 50-60 at night, a sure candidate for condensation. We've had boats here for 30 years, 50/50 gas and diesel, and have never had any issues with condensation/water in the fuel. I usually fill up when the tanks are half full, but many times have gone to almost empty. Urban myth... More H2O gets into fuel tanks because of leaky deck fill tops with rotten O rings than anything else.

Apr 24, 2006
Not sure if Valvtect fuel is available in my area. I was thinking more of what to add to gas station diesel.
That's another question I have - should I be being fuel from a marina or a gas station?
For my outboard I can get ethanol free premium from the gas station but not the marina (less expensive too).

Chris