Hate my in-mast furling mainsail

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougMc

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 36 Erieau Ontario
Sounds like you do not furl tight enough. All ways furl with the wind to your right and ahead of beam. I always furl under power and just pull line in by hand.

Chucky

Aug 10, 2013
Hunter 45CC Brisbane, Australia
Hi all
Just bought a Hunter 45 CC 2007 model with in mast furler, previous owner loved it Im yet to try it out. Does anyone have a link to a good web site on the proper procedure to unfurl and refurl the main. Do you have to ease/ tighten the boom vang/ kicker each time?
Thanks
Michael (Tiara)

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Conversion To Boom Furling

A friend of mine has a Catalina 47. To convert required a mast swap. However, that was at commissioning, so the existing mast and gear probably went back on the assembly line. Still, it was a pricey swap.

Apr 21, 2010
Hunter 36 Vancouver
I have a H36 with a furling main with partial battens in the sail. Simply, this system will add another 10 years or maybe more to my sailing life.

I've seen more seasoned sailors (old timers) giving up sailing their boats with traditional mains due to the physical and awkward demands of reefing in rough weather, hauling sails up and down, securing them in ties, applying bulky covers at a days end. They may be purists that refuse to go to in mast set ups or it may be the expenses of converting to in mast. Some I know just say, they didn't have any charge left in their body to raise the sail to the next waypoint.

I personally love the traditional main for its performance option, *tradition*, romanticism, and its feel of being really involved out there sailing. I tend to compare my like for the traditional main by comparing it to a true standard transmission on a car versus an automatic that does all the selections....do we not all love the hands on approach?...especially when sailing?

The in mast system versus traditional system and the trade off is relative to the enjoyment of being out on the water sailing...no matter what! I've had two back surgeries that were successful, 99% of the time it's my wife and I that go out, and sad, but, true...I'm getting older too! My reply is not an argument, but more of a consideration to those sailors like myself that wonder just how much more sail time is there ahead. The in mast main is perfect for us and at the end of a day sailing you are more relaxed, with a lot more charge remaining in the body. Once familiar with the operation of an in mast main...it's nothing but smooth sailing! NOTE: Every boat with in mast even identical models have their own special characteristics. This can be due a lot to your own special characteristics and in how you set things. Eventually, through trial and error you will find the *sweet spot*! It doesn't take long!

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Hi all
Just bought a Hunter 45 CC 2007 model with in mast furler, previous owner loved it Im yet to try it out. Does anyone have a link to a good web site on the proper procedure to unfurl and refurl the main. Do you have to ease/ tighten the boom vang/ kicker each time?
Thanks
Michael (Tiara)
Check if you have the manual for the mast on board. If not, then go to the Selden website ( I assume its a Selden mast ) and you can download the manual, which gives you instuctions on furling, unfurling.

Also do a search on this forum for in-mast furling jamming and you'll find lots of very good advise.

Oct 18, 2008
Jeanneau 49DS Seattle
After sailing to Alaska a couple of times with other boats using the conventional mains, we would deploy our roller reefed main faster and more often than the others. We also used much less fuel. Of course it was only a couple of thousand miles or so. We also sailed to the French Poly. in less time than most, only 19 days

May 29, 2011
Hunter H 240 rehoboth beach , De
Practice,practice,rolling in and out, a little at a time.There's tons of related help on the hunter owners site pertaining to that issue some owners have experienced.I can recommend to you, when furling the main sail , as you roll the mainsail in, you keep it furled as tight as possible in the mast.I find it easy to deploy if I loosen the out-furling line and then tighten the out haul line.As I said,PRACTICE
I can also recommend the winch-rite battery operated winch handle.Works like a charm and saves alot of cranking.

Status
Not open for further replies.