Hate my in-mast furling mainsail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2013
Hunter 356 Lake Carlyle
Anybody got any idea how expensive it would be to convert from in-mast to in-boom furling on a 2003 Hunter 356? New mainsail, leisure furl boom, etc. Can the original mast be modified and used?

BayMan

Sep 12, 2012
Hunter 450 Unspecified
I have in mast. I know I give up performance but I like the ease in reefing etc.

Why do you hate it enough to make a change.

Mar 6, 2012
Hunter H33 (limited edition cabin top) Bayou Chico
screw that boom furling crap, if you don't like mast furling get a Dutchman flaking system or lazy jacks and go back to the tried and true system, if you reeeeeeallly wanna be lazy u can use jiffy-reefing lol.

meb135

Nov 17, 2012
Hunter 33 Shediac Bay
Funny, after my first sailing season with a furling main, i think it's the best thing since sliced bread. No issues what so ever. It would be interesting to know what your actual issues are?

Jan 12, 2011
Hunter 410 full time cruiser
heck if you don't like your furling setup I bet you can find someone willing to swap

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Yes Swap

I agree you can find some one willing to trade rigs to get in mast and advertise right here in this forum.
Nick

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 49 60803 Lake Erie
Love mine, wouldn't trade it, it's one reason I am very comfortable as a regular singlehand sailor .... heard bad things about boom furlers not working if not perfectly level

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Furling main

Anybody got any idea how expensive it would be to convert from in-mast to in-boom furling on a 2003 Hunter 356? New mainsail, leisure furl boom, etc. Can the original mast be modified and used?
The Selden in mast furling is the best mast furling on the market.
I think you should discuss your issues, and let people on the forum help you out.
A furling boom is very expensive.
Plus, you have to hoist & drop.
On your boat, that isn't a huge problem, but on my 49 it would be huge.
No way my wife & I could handle that.
We've got the vertical battens which help sail shape.
Not sure how old your boat is.
I can tell you that the stock sails that come with the boat aren't "top of the market"
Look at a sail upgrade. It might make you a happy guy

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
Sailmaker

I would contact a sailmaker that knows about in mast and see what he suggest and even get a second sailmaker or even others to help solve your problems.
What you want may make more problems with inboom as it can be a problem if not setup properly also and most inmast owners love them and if it is a problem it is some thing wrong or bad sail and if you get a good sailmaker to come to your boat and setup maybe a new sail you will love as most do.
Nick

deacm

May 27, 2004
Hunter 36 Erie, PA
I inquired about doing an in-mast to in-boom furler once for my H36 and they told me I'd need to buy a new mast……….that was that.

Aug 1, 2012
Beneteau 40 Rondout Yacht Basin, New York
Never had it before I bought a 2008 40' Beneteau with it. My only initial problem was it binding when rolling in. Turned out to be the very top batten was causing the problem. I removed it and everything is fine. notice no difference in the top batten missing as far as sailing goes; but, then again I am not racing! I love the system and could not single hand the vessel without it. Took some time to get used to seeing a main not attached to the boom but, I attain hull speed under the right winds and have no complaints. Don't give up on it too soon.

Feb 16, 2012
Hunter 45 CC Alamitos Bay, Long Beach
Full Length Battens??

The Selden in mast furling is the best mast furling on the market.
I think you should discuss your issues, and let people on the forum help you out.
A furling boom is very expensive.
Plus, you have to hoist & drop.
On your boat, that isn't a huge problem, but on my 49 it would be huge.
No way my wife & I could handle that.
We've got the vertical battens which help sail shape.
Not sure how old your boat is.
I can tell you that the stock sails that come with the boat aren't "top of the market"
Look at a sail upgrade. It might make you a happy guy
Artboas,
Are your battens full length? We have a 2005 Hunter 45 CC with the full length, and have considered replacing them with the shorter battens at the top of the main.
Thanks,
Jeff

Oct 24, 2011
Hunter Passage 450 Lake Lanier, GA
Love Mine, In fact I probably could not single-hand without it. I have a completely battenless main and have no problems getting good sail shape.

Mar 3, 2008
Hunter 356 Lake Stockton
A favorite feature of our boat...

We could not be happier with our 2003 h356 in-mast furling system. Once we understood how to deploy and furl without causing jams, it has been a pure pleasure to have. As some have mentioned, the lack of battens and the smaller cut somewhat reduce performance. However, the sheer convenience of deployment and furling, for us, certainly trumps those caveats.

May 29, 2011
Hunter H 240 rehoboth beach , De
partial vertical battens

I just bought a new Mack main sail with partial vertical battens for our hunter 356.I strongly recommend partial over full battens.

Artboas,
Are your battens full length? We have a 2005 Hunter 45 CC with the full length, and have considered replacing them with the shorter battens at the top of the main.
Thanks,
Jeff

DougMc

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 36 Erieau Ontario
I hate to mention this but if you can't get mast furler to work boom furling is no easier. I have a H 36 and would not sail without mast furling. There are a few things you have to right or it will not work.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
A friend was considering getting in boom furling for his Catalina 30 as a way to go from traditional main. We shopped at the Annapolis boat show and I recall the boom alone was something around $3,000 to $5,000 and the there would be the cost of recutting the main or perhaps a new one. Its serious dollars.

Apr 11, 2012
Cataina 400 MK II Santa Cruz
Sailorbobert, sorry to hear that you're having problems with the in-mast furling system. The comments on this thread make sense and might help you to make peace with your existing system, since going to a different system is expensive. There are also other threads on this forum that you can search for that go into more detail about things to try to make your system work better. I've learned a few things about my system that make it work better for me, hopefully that will also be the case with you. Good luck!

Mar 23, 2013
Hunter 44DS Lake Macquarie
, I was having the problem always jamming when using the out haul line but have found a way around the problem by using the out furling line to push the sail out and then take up the slack with the out haul line. Works great this way just means running back and forward from winch to furling line. Now I love the system

Status
Not open for further replies.