Hatchboard Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Tim Paul

What's the best thinking out there for storing the companionway hatchboards while sailing? Presently, I just shove them in the aft berth but they are clunky and in the way if someone wants to use the berth. I'm toying with the idea of a strap system to secure them to the underside of the cockpit seat. Has anyone done this? Are there other, better ideas that you've found? Thanks

C

Carol P

I've wondered about this too...

It would be great to have a regular place for them, but none comes to mind. We also use the aft berth, but that seems less then ideal. I've wondered if there was some way to use the storage locker in the head?...Or the inside of the door? Surely someone out there has come up with some ingenious idea!!!!

M

Mark Burrows

Awkward Devils

One possibility is to stand them up in the hanging locker. To hold them in place, you can mount a bungee cord on hooks. Unhook the cord, place the boards in, then rehook the cord. Mark Burrows

Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
Laura Dent's Idea

A few years ago when the Laura and Stan still had their 23.5, she made a bag to hold the boards. It had pockets for each individual piece with a flap, velco'ed, I think. It was a very nice addition. I forget where they actual stowed it while under way. For me, I just stick them in the port satee. Jim S/V Java

T

Tom Hultberg

Here's what I do

I set four small eye hooks into the wood, just to the left of the companionway stairs, to the left of the door to the head, and I use two small,thin bungies and store the plexi and boards in a vertical position there. I put two of the hooks parrallel, about 2 1/2 feet from the sole and set them apart a few inches wider than the big plexi and two more about a foot lower. Works for me. That would be a good place to attach a bag on the wall too. Tom

D

David Foster

Quarter Berth of '77 h27

The first three feet of this berth are to the left of the companionway stairs. A hanging locker is just forward of it. We lean the hatch boards on the berthe against the aft side of the locker. They get braced bt all the other stuff we store behind them when we get underway. (Spinnaker, bungee cords, tarps, windsock, etc.) David Lady Lillie

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Depending on the number of sections

Tim: Depending on the number of sections and the sizes, you can sew up a couple of old pillow cases. One pillow case can make 2-3 sections (depending on the size and if you sew another pillowcase to the first one you could end up with 6-9 sections. Then you can just stow them under a bunk and they do not get scratched up or damage other things as you heal over.

D

Dick

Magazine Rack

The previos owner of my 97 H26 solved the problem by making a rack that is attaced to the wall just to the left in the steps to the cabin. He matched the wood to the wall on the head. The bottom has the same angle as the hatch peices. His partner made canvas sleeves for each individual piece to keep the plexy from getting scratched up. This system really takes up none of the precios space.

R

Ray Bowles

Has anyone tried to make a hanging shelf under

the cockpit roof in the aft bunk? You should be able to make a shelf that is suspended from this ceiling. It would allow the boards to be inserted and strapped in place totally out of the way. The forward portion of this bunk ceiling has a higher ceiling than the aft end. I would think this would lend itself to just this type of storage shelf. Each person using this system would be required to post a round at the local club should we ever visit your port. We have doors on our 26 so I will decline my own idea. Please post back if this is do-able. Ray S/V Speedy

J

Jim Loats

I sewed a bag with many slots

out of sail cover material. It hangs from the head door top with a couple U-shaped clips until we get underway, when I remove it and move it into the head beside the potty. It has a slot for each board and is very convenient to reach when opening up and closing down. I also have a couple pockets to store the locks, keys and flashlite. There you go. FYI, there is still water is the Reservoir, but we have had to clean out ashes that were blown through the slats from the Hayman fire to the south. Jim Loats S/V Grizzly Bear

C

Clayton

Hey Jim!

That sounds EXACTLY like what I need! I have been looking for a storage solution for quite a while and have been rubbing my two brain cells together lately and nearly came up with your solution. Could you post a pic or sketch to help others duplicate it?

P

Per Albinsson

Storage solution

We had the same problem in our 240, we solved it with this simple holder on the aft side of the galley. We have three hatchboards, in the holder there is two dividers in slots in the wood, the whole thing is screwed from the inside of the galley. I don't know how the 260 is built, if this solution don't work I hope it at least can inspire someone to a better solution.

Attachments

T

Tom Davis

hatchboard holder

To store the hatchboards on my 26 I cut a U shaped bracket out of 3/4in plywood. The bottom of the U is as long as the widest board. It is deep enough to hold the 2 plastic boards back-to-back and the 2 wood boards side by side in front of them(about 2 in.I think). I then drilled holes for 1/4 in. bolts through the legs of the U and mounted it on the wall of the head, to the port of the steps. To keep them from ratteling around i just stick a piece of paper towel between the boards and the bracket.I've used this for 3 years and it works great, the boards are always out of the way but very accessable when needed and it cost about $1.00

Status
Not open for further replies.