hatch over table (fixed)

Jan 9, 2014
oday 272 le westport, ma
Hi
Just about ready to launch a 272 I bought in oct. It was under a tree that was rotted and taken down last week. with it gone the fixed hatch near mast
started leaking in rain. I took it apart and the fiberglass was a little broken up
core wasn't bad. Glass wasn't that bad and could be re used. I cleaned out a rubbery white caulk. epoxied the holes for screws and about to try to put back together. I used Butyl caulk on all the stancions and cleats. I thought about using the butyl on the hatch but wasn't sure. Only want to do once. Wondered what any one else would recommend or should I use the butyl caulk
Appreciate any advice.
thanks
Paul D

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Butyl Rubber is good for bedding / sealing, but it comes with several caveats: 1. It is not structural. It will not hold two parts together with a bond that will support any weight. 2. It is not waterproof. It is only useful above the waterline. Unlike silicone caulk, butyl rubber never dries. Thus, it remains pliable. It will prevent water from getting into joints better than silicone caulk due to this pliability, but it will not stick to wet surfaces. In fact, try wetting your fingers a little when working with it, and it won't stick to your fingers. 3. Surfaces must be clean to use butyl rubber. If there is oil, grease, or dirt on the surfaces, butyl rubber may be put off adhering to the desired surface.

So seal any DECK fittings with butyl rubber as long as they don't need structural support to hold them in place. For instance, don't seal your Beckson's ports with butyl rubber because you need them glued in (Dow 795), not just sealed. The butyl rubber would just be overkill after the caulk. I guess you could could put a ring around them, but it would be unnecessary.

Oh, and DECK fittings means DECK fittings... Way above the water line, on top of the hull! And if you are having trouble keeping your deck fittings above the water line... Yeeehaaa! I definitely want to sail with you! That is epic sailing! My Admiral commands me to keep the heel below 20 degrees... And I do... most of the time. ;) because I love her and want her to continue sailing with me... and authorize the purchase of my next boat! Hahahahaha!

Thanks,

Andrew

Jan 9, 2014
oday 272 le westport, ma
Butyl Rubber is good for bedding / sealing, but it comes with several caveats: 1. It is not structural. It will not hold two parts together with a bond that will support any weight. 2. It is not waterproof. It is only useful above the waterline. Unlike silicone caulk, butyl rubber never dries. Thus, it remains pliable. It will prevent water from getting into joints better than silicone caulk due to this pliability, but it will not stick to wet surfaces. In fact, try wetting your fingers a little when working with it, and it won't stick to your fingers. 3. Surfaces must be clean to use butyl rubber. If there is oil, grease, or dirt on the surfaces, butyl rubber may be put off adhering to the desired surface.

So seal any DECK fittings with butyl rubber as long as they don't need structural support to hold them in place. For instance, don't seal your Beckson's ports with butyl rubber because you need them glued in (Dow 795), not just sealed. The butyl rubber would just be overkill after the caulk. I guess you could could put a ring around them, but it would be unnecessary.

Oh, and DECK fittings means DECK fittings... Way above the water line, on top of the hull! And if you are having trouble keeping your deck fittings above the water line... Yeeehaaa! I definitely want to sail with you! That is epic sailing! My Admiral commands me to keep the heel below 20 degrees... And I do... most of the time. ;) because I love her and want her to continue sailing with me... and authorize the purchase of my next boat! Hahahahaha!

Thanks,

Andrew
thanks Andrew good advice. I'll use the dow you mentioned
thanks