"Hatch lids"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
Quarter inch (6mm) exterior ply. You should be able get them all out of a 4'x4' piece. Drill about a 1" or so hole in the middle to lift it off with your finger.

Rich

Sep 25, 2008
Oday 25 Gibraltar
Nah, not in this case. The only difference in exterior fir ply and marine fir ply is marine is not supposed to have voids in the inner plies. They use the same glue. Be a little selective when you pick out your piece at the store. Home Depot or Lowes? They usually have half and quarter sheets. B/C grade is fine. Just slap on a coat or two of varnish or paint.

Rich

Dec 8, 2006
Oday 26 Starr, SC
Hatch lids

Nah, not in this case. The only difference in exterior fir ply and marine fir ply is marine is not supposed to have voids in the inner plies. They use the same glue. Be a little selective when you pick out your piece at the store. Home Depot or Lowes? They usually have half and quarter sheets. B/C grade is fine. Just slap on a coat or two of varnish or paint.

Rich
Rich has written correctly. However, you might want to seal edges of plywood with quick drying sealant like urothane or epoxy. Boats did not come with edges sealed. And you could look at Keith's rebuild and paint them with similar color paint to match other gelcoat.

The difference between marine plywood and exterior is that marine is not supposed to have any voids. Not really an issue for your application. And if you paint like gelcoat it will look great.

Ed K

Attachments

Jan 24, 2005
Oday 222 Dighton, Ma.
My boat is missing some "hatch covers." Is that what they are called? The holes under the cabin cushions have no insert. What is the best material/method for making "lids" for these? Thanks!
I used 3/8" 4'X4' sheets from Home Depot John. I stained them with a dark red Mahogany to match the rest of my woodwork, and polyurethaned them.

Sep 20, 2006
Oday 20 Seneca Lake
the section on plywood over the gas tank on my four winns rotted due to a table fitting. i used exterior grade with several coats of polyurathene and then covered it with the carpet. that was 8 years ago and it's still fine. your interior hatch covers will probably outlive you : )

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
I keep wanting to cut out larger openings in those settee tops and make bigger hatch covers. I saw the idea in Don Casey's 101 easy boat improvements (or some similar title). sure looks like a good idea.
keitt
p.s jelfelkins, is this your "dollar boat"?
keith

Oct 2, 2008
Island Packet 31 Brunswick, Ga
pss there is a oday 222 at my club, sitting neglected but in good condition on dry dock at my club, i sure wish whoever it is would sell it to me for a dollar, i am ready for another rebuild, and would be a great project boat. not too far gone. looks in better shape than mine was when i got it.

Jun 3, 2004
Oday and Catalina O'Day 25 and Catalina 30 Milwaukee
Practice on mine?

Keith -

I've seen your work. While my 222 is not a project boat, I'm willing to let you come to Wisconsin and practice your magic on mine before embarking on a bigger project. Let me know when you are ready (perhaps after the sailing season).:)

Dave
O'Day 222

Status
Not open for further replies.