Hatch leak repair

Tom TH

Nov 22, 2023
O'day 222 Punta Gorda - Charlotte Harbor
The forward Hatch on our O'day 222 leaks during rain events.
Is there a way to remove only the cover so that I can get at the top edge to clean and recaulk the perimeter where it it meets the deck?
Right now I can access the sides and lower edges, but the leak probably originates at the top edge.
I don't really want to remove the entire hatch for rebedding unless there is no way to detach the top from the bottom frame.
Thanks for the help.
Tom Heiting

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
[QUOTE="Tom TH, post: 1806291, member: 163741
Is there a way to remove only the cover so that I can get at the top edge to clean and recaulk the perimeter where it it meets the deck?
[/QUOTE]
Can you supply us with info regarding the manufacturer of the hatch?

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
If your hatch is like mine (it looks like it is from images of O'Day 222), the answer is no - you need to remove the frame to rebed. Here's what mine looks like:
hatch.png

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
If it is a Lewmar hatch, yes the lid can be removed. There are two plastic covers that need to be removed at the hinges. There are two threaded barrel hinges that need to be loosened. Refer to Lewmar instruction on their website for specific instructions.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
Yes but that's not going to fix the leak - you can't seal it from the outside.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The forward Hatch on our O'day 222 leaks during rain events.
Right now I can access the sides and lower edges, but the leak probably originates at the top edge.
I don't really want to remove the entire hatch for rebedding unless there is no way to detach the top from the bottom frame.
Thanks for the help.
Tom Heiting
Once the hatch starts to leak from the deck/hatch joint, the only cure is remove the hatch, clean and rebed. It sounds harder than it is. If the hatch is leaking at the seal between the frame and lid, then it may not be necessary, but may be easier to remove the lid and replace the gasket.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Yes but that's not going to fix the leak - you can't seal it from the outside.
Depends on where the leak is. Could be the rubber lens seal/gasket, gasket at handles. Of course, if the base is the source of the leak, it will require complete removal & rebedding. Recently repaired one of my Lewmars by removing lid only & replacing rubber lens seal, hinge seal, & handle gasket; did not have to rebed the base.

Jan 11, 2014
Depends on where the leak is. Could be the rubber lens seal/gasket, gasket at handles. Of course, if the base is the source of the leak, it will require complete removal & rebedding. Recently repaired one of my Lewmars by removing lid only & replacing rubber lens seal, hinge seal, & handle gasket; did not have to rebed the base.
Lewmar hatches are somewhat notorious for leaking hinge seals.

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
From this:

Is there a way to remove only the cover so that I can get at the top edge to clean and recaulk the perimeter where it it meets the deck? "

I was assuming it was the base that was leaking but maybe it's in the seals. Any O'Day hatch that hasn't been rebedded at this point is leaking at the base, guaranteed :)

Tom TH

Nov 22, 2023
O'day 222 Punta Gorda - Charlotte Harbor
Thanks to all for the advice.
Looks like hatch removal is the way to go.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I pulled one of mine (O’Day 322) to rebed it…interesting laminate.

IMG_0100_Original.jpeg

IMG_0102_Original.jpeg

Greg

Jan 11, 2014
I pulled one of mine (O’Day 322) to rebed it…interesting laminate.

View attachment 222076

View attachment 222077

Greg
That's pretty typical. The blue stuff is probably Interlux Watertite fairing compound. It serves 2 purposes to close up the gap between the deck and the headliner so water can't get between them and to add some firmness to the deck around the hatch. Similar to the hatch opening in my quarter berth.

IMG_0831.png

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
That's pretty typical. The blue stuff is probably Interlux Watertite fairing compound. It serves 2 purposes to close up the gap between the deck and the headliner so water can't get between them and to add some firmness to the deck around the hatch. Similar to the hatch opening in my quarter berth.

View attachment 222097
Interesting Dave…I assumed that there was some sort of foam board in the laminate (at least around the hatches).

Next time I pull one of the hatches, I will probe around a bit more.

Greg

Jan 11, 2014
Interesting Dave…I assumed that there was some sort of foam board in the laminate (at least around the hatches).

Next time I pull one of the hatches, I will probe around a bit more.

Greg
Another technique some builders used was to put gobs of polyester putty on the headliner before the deck was lowered. This glued the headliner to the deck. Gobs is a very precise quantity. :biggrin: