Hatch gasket cording

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Found a few threads dating back a few years on hatch gaskets. Internet searches showed a myriad of materials and types (head spinning). Has anybody replaced theirs with satisfactory results? If so, what was used and where procured? Tnx

Sep 6, 2011
Hi Mark, The log book is snowed in but after referencing email receipts here is what we used and its held up a season so far. http://www.mcmaster.com/#93345k36/=w8h7u0

Or part number 93345K36 in case the link is broken.. Needed 2 10' sections for both seals.

The procedure I recall doing was removing old cordage, scraped out old adhesive, lightly sanding to remove any excess. We dry fitted the cordage about a dozen times and it was still a pain especially at the corners. We cut each end to mate at at 45 degree opposing angles on top of one another with the bottom looking like a wedge and adhered them together after the rest was down and clamped. Hoping the downward pressure would help seal the joint.

We also staggered the seams of the outer and inner seals. PO had then in a straight line possibly resulting in the leak. I will never know.

We used a good 8-10 bar clamps.

I put painters tape on the inside of the hatch once we were able to close it to collect any excess goo for 24 hours.

The one question I can't recall was what adhesive we used. I think RTV silicone but don't hold me to that. And yes I hate silicone on a boat but I recall a couple attempts and only one held. It was not 5200.

Overall I still think this is a bad design but haven't found a solution I'm happy with yet. For the short term I'll have covers made that secure over the hatches to help divert water. The hatch we resealed hasn't leaked though and I watched it closely since I sleep under it all summer.

SC

Sep 6, 2011
And as a side note I went though at least 10 different materials. EPDM was too firm and wouldn't let the hatch close correctly. I tried fuel hose, several tape options, several corded materials and the one above was the best fit. I'll get back to you on the adhesive if we can figure it out tonight. It was clear that I recall but that isn't terribly helpful.

SC

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I was referred to Gardico in Seattle. Only 2 hrs away. They make all sorts of rubber parts/gaskets etc and even know what a boat is....talked with them on the phone and theyre sending me a box of samples. Its actually called "O-ring cord" and sold by the ft. Cant beat that.

Jun 10, 2013
S2 Yachts 7.3 Milwaukee
I just replaced mine this past weekend. The old one literally fell off when I touched it. I scraped out the remaining gasket and adhesive and put down a 3/8" weatherproofing seal from Home Depot with 5200. The seal is in a D shape, and both it and the 5200 are white so it's going to look nice and seamless with the deck, but I don't know yet how well it will work. I put the hatch down and it looks like it seals pretty well.

Sep 6, 2011
Found a few threads dating back a few years on hatch gaskets. Internet searches showed a myriad of materials and types (head spinning). Has anybody replaced theirs with satisfactory results? If so, what was used and where procured? Tnx
Hey Mark,

Did you find something suitable? If so what? I'm always looking at alternatives.

SC

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Gardico sent me two samples. One was way to hard and the other was a bit soft but probably useable. Also they did not tell me the names of each sample. So...im going to make the trip to Seattle one of these days and combine it with some other business/visits there also. In the meantime some closed cell weatherstripping over the six inch leak is working.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Thanks Woody. The Bomar looks to be an extruded hollow seal and would collapse. Then you would have to add spacers between the hatch and hinge...have not heard of Hatchmasters. Thanks for the tip. Will call and talk to them. Price looks good