HATCH COVER. 1981 O Day 23 ft

Jan 15, 2022
O’Day 1981 O’Day 23 ft Sailboat Lanoka Harbor
I need to replace the Hatch cover for my 1981 O Day 23 ft. Dimensions are about 26.5 inches across top, 16 inches across the bottom and 21.5 inches from top to bottom in the middle. It is trapezoid shape.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
If you do not have a hobby woodworking shop:

1. Find a supplier of plastics in your area who has a fabricating shop.
2. Remove the old hatch cover to use as a pattern.
3. Take it to the supplier and have him fabricate the cover from 1/2" smoked acrylic.

Jan 15, 2022
Thank you Ralph. I appreciate your message. I am taking the hatch cover off this week and I will purchase the smoked acrylic. Thank you very much —-that is very helpful.

Aug 20, 2012
Catalina 22 Seaside Park, NJ
Ralph, I ordered the half inch smoked acrylic from acme plastics in nj after speaking with them. They are sending me a quote next week. they have told me they can cut it to the specs i sent. Thanks for your advice, I ll let you know how i do.
Tom Meade

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Glad this worked out.

Don't know how far you've gotten but you may want to consider having the cover sectioned and bevelled for ease of storage.

Hatch Boards.JPG

This thing is just over a meter tall and each section about 260 cm wide. Each is bevelled down and outward to eliminate rain ingress.

Write if you need any further info before signing on the dotted line.

Jan 15, 2022
Ralph, I am still having a problems getting this done. Could you tell me where you ordered this acrylic. The local shops in NJ and CT originally said they could do it and then reneged. The hatch I am replacing is the forward hatch in front of the mast. See attached picture—-any suggestions welcome. Thanks

Attachments

Jun 3, 2022
O’day 23 Madison,WI
I have the same issue, with a 1980 O day 23. Did you find one, or someone who could make one?

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
The fiberglass hatch is very well made. I often step on mine. Even the original seal is in good condition 44 years later