Hatch boards

Aug 28, 2015
Oday 28 St Joseph, MI
Thats what I call them, the three pieces of wood which block entrance to the cabin of a sailboat. Where do you store them? On my O'Day 28 I lay them on the quarter berth where they slide around and sometime startle me by banging into the hull. Is there a place on the boat that I don't know about or a secret method of secure stowing? Looking for some suggestions.

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 33 Metedeconk River
I was in a similar quandary a few years ago and my boards were plexiglass and were getting scratched. After measuring I ordered a NcStar Vism Discreet Carbine Case (~$35) from Opticsplanet.com or Amazon. I added two sheets of 1/2" foam to put between the boards. The case is padded and very easy to carry by the handle. Put the boards in it as I take them off, carry below and put it in the aft cabin.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I've got three sets on my Catalina 36 (solid teak, Plexiglas, and screen), so three times the fun. They also live in the aft berth and slide around. I solved the problem cheaply this year with 10 foot of 1/4 inch shock cord and some plastic J-hooks, all bought on Amazon for about $20. I found a convenient spot on a shelf over the engine, where the shock cord will pull the boards into a corner. I laid out the shock cord in a zig-zag pattern going top to bottom, and screwed in the J-hooks with small SS screws. I ended both sides with a small eye-strap that had laying around the boat. I threaded the shock cord up, and put a very small amount of strain on it to avoid pulling out screws. No need for pictures as your boat will vary. To add or remove boards, I just unhook a corner or two of shock cord. On reflection, I should have used slightly smaller shock cord to make it easier to pull, but this should last for a few years.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Crib boards... i replaced mine with a single piece of star board. Then I replaced that with swinging doors on removable hinges. I like them the best of the three options.