Hatch and port light covers or coating

Jan 5, 2021
Hunter 41 DS Saint Petersburg
We are discussing covering our hatches and port lights. I was wondering if the sunbrella will cause scratching on the lens. Also has anyone tried film and/or ceramic coating? I have the coating on my trucks windshield with film and coating on the headlights as well as the rest of the truck. It seems to work on that application.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
I’ve had sunbrella covers on my hatches since I got the boat with no issues.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
I have used Sunbrella (r) hatch covers over our Lewmar hatches for 25 years with never an adverse effect. They have an elastic cord in the bottom of the side section and go on rather tightly. Some folks in areas with a stronger UV do add a layer of insulation under the fabric surface, and some canvas shops include a sleeve inside just for that insulation layer.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Just take them off occasionally and clean the surfaces. Trapped dirt is what will cause issues

• Helpful
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have home made sunbrella covers on my hatches, and a piece of Refexite under the sunbrella,
No AC on my boat ;-(.

Greg

Jan 5, 2021
Hunter 41 DS Saint Petersburg
Thank you for the replies and information. The newer film and ceramic coating works very well on my truck and headlights. I have just ceramic coating on my windshield and it is working well so far. This got me to thinking about putting it on our boat. I haven't met anyone or heard one way or another about the use of film and/or ceramic coating.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I put on Outland covers this year to help the AC and protect the new lenses I installed.good folks to work with.

B3BB3CE5-3744-4EE4-851A-5E241C081170.jpeg

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Thank you for the replies and information. The newer film and ceramic coating works very well on my truck and headlights. I have just ceramic coating on my windshield and it is working well so far. This got me to thinking about putting it on our boat. I haven't met anyone or heard one way or another about the use of film and/or ceramic coating.
They use these on high end yachts. Should work on a sailboat.

dj