Hasserott Beach Mooring Balls (Grand Traverse Bay)

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
I've always assumed that the mooring balls at Hasserott Beach were privately owned. My friend said he thought they were public "first come basis."

I didn't know public mooring balls existed - like who would have put them in? who would maintain them? They are not near a marina or near anyone's house. There are (I think) three balls off of a public beach.

Who would I check with to see? The Township that owns the beach maybe?

Feb 19, 2008
@rgranger
Thank you!
I did try google first, I found all kinds of stories about haserot beach, but no contact info.

probably didnt help that I was spelling it wrong.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Website doesn’t really give any info on the moorings…at least not that I could find. I did note that the boat ramp was destroyed by a storm…so no launching there.

Only about 253 miles “shortest route” from my home port to the peninsula….
but I would hug the coast more and make many stops along the way! And I would also stay out of the shipping channels….those Laker boats are big!
IMG_3131.png

Jan 7, 2011
@Tally Ho
On my 18 footer, a 30 mile sail is a damn good day. 100 miles seems like an endurance test.
Agreed! At best, Tally Ho is going to make 6-7 knots…so for me 50-ish miles would be a great day. Hence planning a route to hit many ports along the way:cool:

Greg

Jan 7, 2011
Heck of a fast sail today…

Pretty consistent 18-20 knots, north wind. 2-4 foot seas, occasionally 6 feet. Temp around 55F.
Solo sail, jib only.

Could have made those 100 miles easier today…

IMG_3137.png IMG_2540.jpeg

Pretty consistent 7+ knots going out 8 miles, a little slower tack coming back. Averaged 6.1 knots including in and out of the marina. surfed down a wave to hit 8.5 knots. Not bad for an old girl (the boat) and an old skipper.

A fun, and challenging sail.

Greg

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
@Tally Ho
The great thing about freighters is that you can see them coming a long way off.
I don't know how fast the freighters run over your way, but off-shore they are typically running in the near 20 knots range. It's amazing how fast they can reach you once you can see them...

dj

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I've always assumed that the mooring balls at Hasserott Beach were privately owned. My friend said he thought they were public "first come basis."

I didn't know public mooring balls existed - like who would have put them in? who would maintain them? They are not near a marina or near anyone's house. There are (I think) three balls off of a public beach.

Who would I check with to see? The Township that owns the beach maybe?
@john6206 Your info says you are in Ann Arbor MI - You are looking at Haserot Beach... Ah the beauty of having a trailerable boat! If you get there you best post pictures here. That's a beautiful part of the Great Lakes!

dj

Jan 7, 2011
I don't know how fast the freighters run over your way, but off-shore they are typically running in the near 20 knots range. It's amazing how fast they can reach you once you can see them...

dj
Yep….these Laker boats move @ 20 knots or more….until they start their slowdown about 5 miles out…

Greg

Feb 19, 2008
I’ve been sailing in the grand traverse bay probably 25 years or so.

Freighters have never been a problem. I see a lot more of them when I sail out of Detour Village, but they moving pretty slow, and honestly it’s not difficult to stay out of their way.

yes! That is the beauty of a trailerable boat. It makes about 65 miles per hour between ports. On the other hand stepping that big mast every time I go sailing isn’t getting any easier on this aging body. I think in a couple years I might either go bigger or smaller …. Im just not sure which.