Has Seidelmann always been made by Siedelmann?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 5, 2009
Hunter 25.5 Apollo Beach
I'm looking @ a '79 Seidelmann 30 and went to NADA.com to find a standard price range. The NADA guide only lists boats from 1980 - 1986 and only boats in the 24' - 25' size. Sometimes the company has another name under which certain years were produced.... Is that the case for this make?? or is NADA just ignorant?? I've looked through all the threads on this forum and don't see mention so I'm asking.

Thanks,

Wahoo

May 30, 2009
2 S299 Yarmouth, Maine
Go to the Seidelmann-owner site and you will find average asking prices for this boat. I paid $5,000 for my 1979 S299 4 years ago and got a boat survey. My survey value came in at half of what the owner was asking for it. Per the survey my boat was very solid and who knows why it an undervalued sailboat. All my friends that own Pearson love sailing with me and told me. I paid a 1/3 of what they did for the same size boat; got twice as much boat and they felt that the Seidelmann was a wee bit faster. However their boats have higher resale value than mine. Who cares I didn’t buy it as an investment.
Good-Luck

Wahoo

May 30, 2009
2 S299 Yarmouth, Maine
Go to the Seidelmann-owner site and you will find average asking prices for this boat. I paid $5,000 for my 1979 S299 4 years ago and got a boat survey. My survey value came in at half of what the owner was asking for it. Per the survey my boat was very solid and who knows why it an undervalued sailboat. All my friends that own Pearson love sailing with me and told me. I paid a 1/3 of what they did for the same size boat; got twice as much boat and they felt that the Seidelmann was a wee bit faster. However their boats have higher resale value than mine. Who cares I didn’t buy it as an investment.
Good-Luck

Blitz

Jul 10, 2007
Seidelmann 34 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Surveys always have trouble finding certain models in certain years for Seidelmanns - don't know why exactly. Also, because of this they are mostly under valued for insurance purposes. It may be due to the limited production and that they are mostly found on the east coast.

As far as I know, Seildelmann was always built by Seidelmann. Bob Seidelmann started out as a sail maker, that progressed into boat building in South Jersey. The factory even started making some power boats for another name toward the final few years - but that might have been just to keep the factory moving.

Sep 1, 2005
- - Annapolis
I'm looking @ a '79 Seidelmann 30 and went to NADA.com to find a standard price range. The NADA guide only lists boats from 1980 - 1986 and only boats in the 24' - 25' size. Sometimes the company has another name under which certain years were produced.... Is that the case for this make?? or is NADA just ignorant?? I've looked through all the threads on this forum and don't see mention so I'm asking.

Thanks,
It may be under Seidelmann-Pacemaker Yachts, or Pacemaker-Seidelmann.

Sep 18, 2009
Tartan 37 Classic 24 St Michaels
Seidelmann Yachts was started as SFC Corporation. Seidelmann, Fleshier, Carmichael the original investors trivia only, you won't find SFC in NADA either you can take a look at BUC they list Seidelmann in additional years.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
I used to own a Seidelmann back in 1978. They were built in Camden, NJ and Bob Seidelmann built them. Interesting fellow he was. I assume he is still around. The 30T came out after the 299 in the early 80's. The 299 was an extension of Bob's personal Seidelmann 29, which was a swing keel boat. They were pretty fast boats and Bob's 29 was on the cover of (I think) Sail Magazine back in the late 70's, I remember.

Sep 18, 2009
Tartan 37 Classic 24 St Michaels
I used to own a Seidelmann back in 1978. They were built in Camden, NJ and Bob Seidelmann built them. Interesting fellow he was. I assume he is still around. The 30T came out after the 299 in the early 80's. The 299 was an extension of Bob's personal Seidelmann 29, which was a swing keel boat. They were pretty fast boats and Bob's 29 was on the cover of (I think) Sail Magazine back in the late 70's, I remember.
Bill

Seidelmann yachts was started in a shed at Bob Seidelmann's sail loft in Gibbsboro NJ then we moved to Riverside, NJ then to Berlin NJ. This would be from about 1977 to 1985 I don't know about moves after that.
The 299 was the second boat we prototyped the 25 being the first. The centerboard boat you may be thinking of was probably the Seidelmann 30 built by Dickerson in MD a couple of years before we started Seidelmann Yachts or perhaps the original 25 Prototype which also was a centerboard. Two centerboard 25s were built one was converted to a keel.
We left the center board concept till the mid eighties when we built the 245 followed by larger models after I left the company.
Sadly Bob is no longer with us.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
Ya, you know, you are right about Berlin, NJ. Not sure where I got Camden. I have been through the Seidelmann plant and met Bob Seidelmann. How old was he when he died and how did he die? I also remember now that he was a sailmaker first. Seidelmann also built the first Sonars, designed by Bruce Kirby and Wally Ross had his fingers in that project too. I recall that there was a fire in the plant at one point too, that took some Sonars, or at least damaged some. While the Sonar is still in production, they are much better built these days. I think other builders included CE Ryder in RI too. Thanks for refreshing my memory.

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
I bought what was the first Seidelman 30 built. It as a water ballasted centerboard and built by Dickerson brothers in the Chesapeake. It was donated to the naval Academy in 1980 and I bought it in July 1980. Her name was Enchanter and I renamed her Cayenne. Raced out of Marblehead, MA and later Hyannis. Extremely successful. In 1982 we won 38 out of 42 races and was also Gulf of Maine Ocean Racing Champion. In the Chesapeake the design was also known as the Chesapeake 30. The sails were made by Seidelman in 1976 and I raced them until I bought a set of Doyles in 1983.
The boat would do some great death rolls. Sting Ray made center fold in one of the sailing magazines showing death roll sequence with spinnaker and blooper and finally wraping everything up. Tje center board mold is in Topsfield, MA by the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.