Has anyone used this product?

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
I’m looking for either an inexpensive item that I can put on the cockpit seating area to keep my dog from ice skating around. I’m not opposed to a removable foam type product if it’s heavy enough to stay put when needed.

I came across this adhesive backed simulated teak product. Anyone used it? It looks like it has adhesive backing. I’m wondering how well it would hold up. Another concern if It wore out and needed removed how difficult would it be to remove the adhesive backing.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Marine-E...MIrvOT49Gv4QIVw1YNCh02IQYaEAQYCSABEgKK9fD_BwE

Thanks

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Even more importantly, how does it hold up in the sun?

We're seeing that more and more in place of non-skid on new boats. It's really nice when new. I would love to hear comments down the line. There are also many types.

Dec 27, 2012
I saw those Rgranger. It’s a possibility.

I agree Thinwater, that’s why I’m concerned about the ease of removing the adhesive.

Thanks

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
When we had (small) dogs, we sailed with indoor-outdoor carpet in the cockpit to give them some traction. 30 years worth. No dogs now.

Dec 27, 2012
That’s funny Gunni, Prior to seeing your response I ordered grippy socks for dogs. I figured it’s cheap enough to try. Hopefully it works. My dog turns into the Tasmanian devil when we touch her paws.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
There are some really good dog boots out there. Suggest the varieties with straps. Make sure they fit securely, so the dog feels confident in them. They should go on simultaneously with boat access. That way the dog learns - boating means boots. Warning, some dogs are like some people, they are bad crew members.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
When we had (small) dogs, we sailed with indoor-outdoor carpet in the cockpit to give them some traction. 30 years worth. No dogs now.
That seems like a winning idea. Cheap, easy and you can get some nice looking patterns. Throw it out and replace when it starts to look bad. Roll it up and stow when not using it.... easy.

Dec 27, 2012
All good suggestions. Our boxer recently lost her fight to cancer. She was a great boat dog. No assistance was required with her footing. This winter I moved my dad in with me which included his terrier mix. I’m hoping she enjoys the boat but time will tell. She doesn’t seem to have the same balance skill which is why I’m trying to prevent her from sliding around. She is a land lover from Arizona.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
I came across this adhesive backed simulated teak product. Anyone used it? It looks like it has adhesive backing. I’m wondering how well it would hold up. Another concern if It wore out and needed removed how difficult would it be to remove the adhesive backing.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Marine-E...MIrvOT49Gv4QIVw1YNCh02IQYaEAQYCSABEgKK9fD_BwE

I was looking into FLEXITEEK but the cost was what I thought high. Plus I wanted something that I could do myself. It is just for the cabin flooring. Then I read your post, thanks for the info. Never thought of Walmart!

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I doubt you'd fool anybody and it appears that it would look really tacky.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
I'm not sure the goal is to fool anyone. I'm not sure everyone even likes teak (I'm quite sure they do not). I would chose a gray product, such as used on SUPs.
I'm still trying to figure out what I think about this product catagory. I can see some obvious applications on dinghies and beach cats, but not so much on larger boats. Seats could make sense if they reduced the need for cushions or helped hold the cushions in place. Places you kneel.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
I suppose you are right, but I am not concerned as I am not a charter boat and need to keep up a appearance. I just need something to cover my old nasty cork flooring. "I'm just a simple kind of man"