Has anyone improved jib sheet "cleating"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Hunter 280 Lake Guntersville, AL
We have a 1996 280 and there are some jam (V) cleats for the sheets to be used until the wind strength forces the use on the cabin-top winches. My problem is the jam cleats won't hold very much anymore. My sheets are a few years old so will that reduce the cleats ability to hold? Has anyone replaced them with a cam cleat or . . . ? It's getting to be a pain to have to use the winch when the wind is only 6-8 knots.

P.S. - whatever the solution, we need to be able to switch from cleat to winch easily.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2009
Hunter 386LE San Fancisco
If you do not have a self-tailing winch then suggest installing a "wincher". Next step is to install a Lewmar cam cleat with a cover to prevent the sheet from passing through. I did this last weekend for my traveler and main sheets. Both are are about the same cost.

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Please clarify . . .

If you do not have a self-tailing winch then suggest installing a "wincher". Next step is to install a Lewmar cam cleat with a cover to prevent the sheet from passing through. I did this last weekend for my traveler and main sheets. Both are are about the same cost.
Yea, my winches are self tailing but what do you mean by "cam cleat with a cover to prevent the sheet from passing through" ?

Do you mean a cam with a strap or fairlead?

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Clark, I'm totally missing your point. Putting a wrap on the winch and then into the self tailer locks the sheet no matter what the wind strength. The only difference is how many wraps. The stronger the breeze the more wraps you add. When you're ready to tack one hand is placed around the winch barrel to secure the sheet while the other removes the line from the self tailer. To tack pull straight up on the line which spills the line off the winch drum completely. The whole operation takes but a second or two. It takes much longer to write it than it does to do it.
The problem with using a jam cleat comes when the breeze increases. If the breeze increases while the line is in the cleat it will become impossible to transfer to the winch without loosing most or all of the trim.
You may want to re-think this one.

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Thanks Alan. I guess I wasn't clear with what I wanted. I use our winches when the wind gets up with no issues; I've gotten pretty smooth with them over the years ;-p
What I was looking for is something to use in place of the jam cleat that Hunter put on the cabin top for light-med air . When working properly, I can easily guide the sheet into the V from mid cockpit and I'd like to retain that function. Not that the winch won't work . . I'm just a lazy cuss at times.

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Got it, understood. ;)

Why not just replace the cleat with a new one if that's all there is to it?

Clark

Jun 30, 2004
Not a bad idea Alan. I can't tell if the cleat is worn or if my sheet needs changing. I may do that (replace the sheet) and see how it does because it is getting worn in the area that fits into the cleat.

Status
Not open for further replies.