has anyone added a steering wheel to a mac 26d

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David

Has anyone added a steering wheel to a macgregor 26d and if so where did you place it and what type did you use .... Im thinking of using the wheel for rudder and motor control with the help of a conection rod between the two .... I just wanted to bounce this idea around and do some planning... Thanks David

C

Chris Hansel

has anyone added a teering wheel to a mac 26d

I think I have seen one at Curtins Marina at Burlington New Jersey ( Delaware River). It also has a bimini and a stern pulpit. I don't know how it works. I would like to have one myself. Let me know if you find more. check out Dan's post on 7/17/01 He talks about a Merriman/Yacht steering pedestal system on his Mac 25. Would make sense it would fit other boats, however you do have to wonder how it would work on a pop up rudder.

M

Mike

I've got a wheel on my 26d

The 1989 26d I recently bought has a Edson wheel on it. It sits on a pedistal about a foot in front of the rear seating bench. It is mechanical with a chain drive running down the pedistal to a series of metal bars that connect to the rudder. You can find them online by doing a search on Yahoo, they sell a lot of wheels to bigger boats so they are also included on a lot of online sailing stores. Their website has pictures and details about adding a wheel, which they call a "destroyer wheel".

Status
Not open for further replies.