Has anybody purchased a new outboard online from overseas?

May 17, 2014
hunter 380 Plano, TX
I am looking at a new 20hp Suzuki outboard and I am seeing some pretty substantial savings by ordering from overseas. Has anybody done this and what was your experience. Needless to say a bit leary.

Thanks in advance

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Might read these threads first:

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Every dealer I talk to is saying it will be 8 weeks. I can get that ordering overseas !
It is not surprising that US dealers are having trouble keeping inventory. One of the unusual effects of the pandemic and business shutdown is that some sectors of the economy have seen a huge boom. Recreational boating, home improvement, and furniture sales have been going through the roof. With low interest rates home sales have surged. As are result it is nearly impossible to buy a recreational kayak, an RV, or a small boat.

Personally, I would not gamble with an overseas dealer of unknown reputation. Even if they deliver the product, its provenance would be uncertain. Is the motor a gray market motor? A black market motor? Will the manufacturer honor the warrantee? Too many uncertainties for my taste.

Have you checked Defender.com? They don't carry Suzukis but they have other brands and some in stock.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I've bought from this site and had excellent results.

May 29, 2018
Canel 25 foot Shiogama, japan
Hi Planoron.
When you , say overseas, where do you mean?
Do you have a link to the (sales) site?

In Australia this is a constant con that is like a whack-a-mole.
The sales site moves around (Indonesia, Philippines etc), but the ad on the site is just recycled.
One site offers Suzuki, a carbon copy offers Tohatsu and another offers Hondas.

Money goes, engine no shows.

Gary

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
A month ago we ordered a 40hp Yamaha from our local dealer, it'll be December before we see it. We don't need till May so were should be good.

Wondering though, does using a credit card for payment offer protection with an overseas purchase?

May 17, 2014
hunter 380 Plano, TX
A month ago we ordered a 40hp Yamaha from our local dealer, it'll be December before we see it. We don't need till May so were should be good.

Wondering though, does using a credit card for payment offer protection with an overseas purchase?
I was counting on some protection from the credit card co but had not made that call yet. I know you can''t sue because the damages are less than 50k.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Don't do it, the engine will have no warranty. US warranty programs are exclusive for engines imported through the US Dealer network. The Serial Number will not be recognized in the Warranty Agreements Data base.

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
Don't do it, the engine will have no warranty. US warranty programs are exclusive for engines imported through the US Dealer network. The Serial Number will not be recognized in the Warranty Agreements Data base.
This is what I learned as well when I researched and bought a 8 hp Honda outboard a few years ago. You can get the motor a few hundred cheaper overseas, but no warranty. I passed. It wasn't worth it to lose the warranty or deal with the potential hassle of an overseas purchase. I ended up going with OnlineOutboards.com.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I've heard stories that 2 cycle outboards are no longer sold in the US. If true, you are not going to import one either. I took a Chevy Blazer that I'd rebuilt in Fla to the Bahamas. I'd gotten rid of the pointless pollution control system (back in the '80s) and upon returning, even though I'd changed nothing in the Bahamas, they would not let my truck back in. I told them that was the way it was when we exported it, but that fell on deaf ears.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
It is not surprising that US dealers are having trouble keeping inventory. One of the unusual effects of the pandemic and business shutdown is that some sectors of the economy have seen a huge boom. Recreational boating, home improvement, and furniture sales have been going through the roof. With low interest rates home sales have surged. As are result it is nearly impossible to buy a recreational kayak, an RV, or a small boat.
Don’t forget firearms and ammunition, also in very high demand along with certain other outdoor/sporting merchandise. Background checks at record levels in CA. Good time to own SWBI? Firearms display cabinets look like the grocery shelves of the first few weeks.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
As a former dealer and other dealers, we wouuld warranty the motors we sold as we did not know who bought from, bought from where, who had worked on them, bought from an on line dealer and so forth. As some have pointed out, deal with a ligit dealer in the U S who will warranty your engine