Feb 19, 2023
Dufour Dufour 34 Clipper Yacht Harbor
Hi All,

Based on this.
I have an MKIII
It has a Screw
It has Four openings with 2 for lines.

The manual is here.
I read it and it says my furling line needs to be.
Page 5
Furling line is not included with furling unit. Purchase
7/16" (12 mm) low stretch Dacron double braid.

I purchased
7/16" Dia. Color-Coded Sta-Set, Sold by the Foot, Black
Model #353003
Mfg #2104-14-00600

Item 1.
When I got it I measured it using calipers and it is 10.6 not 12 mm.

Item 2.
I had a look at the line I removed from the sailboat which kept jamming.
It was roughly 8mm , which seems to be 5/16.

My question is ?
Was the previous owner clueless and put the wrong size line in.

If you have an MKIII Furler what furling line do you use ?

Attachments

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
7/16" llne is rather beefy line for a Furler, 5/16" is more typical.

Line diameters are nominal, that is to say they are not very accurate. Take a look at this video from now defunct Annapolis Performance Sailing on measuring line diameters. While APS is long gone, their excellent videos remain on YouTube. Watching them is time well spent.

May 9, 2020
Hunter Legend 37 Harrison Twp, MI
The manual you linked is for a Unit 3... I don't know your boat, but based on the picture, doesn't look like a Unit 3!

Look at bottom chart in that P2Marine identification guide... I don't remember the exact recommendations, but Unit 0 is for <30ft boats, Unit 1 is 30-35ft range... really based on sail size, so just a guideline.

As @dlochner said, 5/16" or 8mm are the common line sizes, and the Harken Mark III Unit 1 says 5/16"

Unit 0 might be 9/32" or 7mm... you'd be best to verify.

sorry to say the 7/16 line you purchased will likely have to be repurposed!

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
So it appears that the previous owner put a Unit 3 on the boat when he didn't really need it to be that beefy. I don't know why a smaller line size couldn't be used and perhaps that is why he has it on there. But, since you already bought 7/16, you may as well use it since that is what is recommended by Harkin. Put it on and use it. Who cares if it is stronger than it needs to be for the size of your boat?

The jamming may be a separate issue. No telling what it could be about. I don't think the line size makes a difference. I know that when I let the sail spin out uncontrolled when I'm pulling the sail out in a breeze that my line jambs. It is crucial to keep some tension on the line when you are pulling the sail out so that the line winds tightly. (It's just like the old days when my dad was teaching me how to keep my thumb on one of those old casting reels with the open face. I lost a huge northern pike when I was about 12 years old because I let the reel jamb on a cast.)

You need to be careful not to burn your hand if you are holding the line. I usually put a wrap on a cleat to keep it under control.

(If it's not really a Unit 3, you should verify which model you have)

Last edited:

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
  1. I had a look at the line I removed ...... kept jamming.
  2. Was the previous owner clueless and put the wrong size line in.
  3. If you have an MKIII Furler what furling line do you use ?
I have a MkIV Harken furler. I have seen and used in a past experience the MkIII. It is older but a solid piece of harware. State of the are in it's time.

Your questions started #1 with the statement that the line kept jamming. Can you explain that? Does jammining gmean tha the line wrap is too tight and you are getting overwraps on the drum? This could happen not because of line size but due to age or dirty line. Over wraps can happen when line whips out or in on the drum as the sail is being deployed or retreved under pressure. Similar to how over wraps occur on a jib sheet winch. Slack line on the furler line is a third possible culprit. To address this issue I would give the ine a good wash. I would make sure the line wraps smoothly on the drum. I would check the fair leads to be sure they are guiding th eline at the proper angle to the drum to allow the line to wrap smoothly about the drum.

#2. Perhaps the PO bouught the wrong size or allowed the maintenance to become slack. Who knows?

#3. If you choose a larger size yu will get fewer wraps on the drum. This may be fine for the size of sail you have. The size listed in the manual is a guide. If you need to more wraps on the drum you need a smaller size line. The line size is adjustable to the needs of the boat owner.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Item 2.
I had a look at the line I removed from the sailboat which kept jamming.
It was roughly 8mm , which seems to be 5/16.
The most common cause of jamming on roller furling is halyard wrap. This is caused by another halyard getting caught in the furler or the angle of the halyard to the upper swivel is incorrect which allows the halyard to wrap around the foil.

Another cause is inadequate backstay tension, the headstay sags and and it is harder to turn the drum.

A loosely wrapped furling line or a poor lead from the drum to the first block will cause the furling line to get an over ride.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
If you go ahead and install the 7/16" check for excessive friction going through the fairleads to the cockpit. If the old line is 5/16" the fairleads might be sized for the 5/16". The 1/8" bigger line might not fit or drag.
I doubt I could fit 7/16" line through the Harken fairleads I bought and I don't remember their being a choice in size.

Edit: I just did a quick check. Harken's Stanchion Mount lead block kit shows max line size of 3/8". The ratchet blocks are 57mm. You'd need 75MM blocks for 7/16" line.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2023
Dufour Dufour 34 Clipper Yacht Harbor
The manual you linked is for a Unit 3... I don't know your boat, but based on the picture, doesn't look like a Unit 3!

Look at bottom chart in that P2Marine identification guide... I don't remember the exact recommendations, but Unit 0 is for <30ft boats, Unit 1 is 30-35ft range... really based on sail size, so just a guideline.

As @dlochner said, 5/16" or 8mm are the common line sizes, and the Harken Mark III Unit 1 says 5/16"

Unit 0 might be 9/32" or 7mm... you'd be best to verify.

sorry to say the 7/16 line you purchased will likely have to be repurposed!

Thanks,
You were right.
The unit is MKIII but Size 1, so I read the wrong manual, I read MKIII size 3.

Thank you