Hardtop for a Hunter 41AC

Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
I am starting to think about building a hardtop for my Hunter 41AC. and am looking for input, pictures, things to watch out for from anyone who has attempted to do this. I know one main consideration is the arch and how to work the top around it. As always thanks in advance for your input

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
An internet search on "Hunter sailboat hardtop images" shows many examples.

Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
So I have looked on line not much for hunters which have the traveler on an arch which adds one more design dimension. Any input would be extremely helpful

Aug 29, 2018
Hunter 420 Passage Sv
We have a 2001 Hunter 420 Passage. I have also been working on a hardtop. I made a mold based on the shape of the canopy skeleton as I want the hardtop to set on it and fasten on the back to the Arch. I painted the Mold with a blue epoxy paint to smooth the surface. I applyed a wax to aid release of the hardtop. I made the Fiberglass shape from the mold. I plan to fit it and finish when the weather warms up in a few weeks. I can keep you posted.

Attachments

Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
Stephen M - Looks amazing and the mold looks professional. Yes, please keep me posted on your progress. I am also interested in how you are going to mount it,
- are you going to use the existing Bimini frame?
- how are you planning to attach it to the arch?

Two options I have currently been looking at; because I have any glass work experience are using:
1. PVC panels
2. Polycarbonate multiwall roof panel
both would require a method for joining the panels together; not sure I am sold either of my two options.
Thanks again and stay safe

Aug 29, 2018
Hunter 420 Passage Sv
Fitting Hardtop today. Still have rough edges as I have to mark top centerline and mark trim lines. Also have to mark skylight.
Fit perfect. Now have to trim.

Attachments

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
Stephen M, thats awesome man. I'm curious did you start with the actual cloth from the bimini top to pattern your wood for your mold? Does the wood remain in the mold the entire time? Mimicking that curvature to the wood must have been tricky!

Aug 29, 2018
Hunter 420 Passage Sv
Stephen M, thats awesome man. I'm curious did you start with the actual cloth from the bimini top to pattern your wood for your mold? Does the wood remain in the mold the entire time? Mimicking that curvature to the wood must have been tricky!
I clamped templates to the 4 canopy frames, traced them, marked top dead center and measured the angle they were on. I then measured the distance between the canopy frames and built the mold in my garage based on these measurements. The mold was not in good shape after we stripped off the fiberglass (could have used more wax) but it served its purpose. I am working on coming up with a plan to get the side canopies attached to the hardtop. I will attach the new hardtop to the canopy frames with metal cable clamps and chicago fasteners.
1590016057557.png
1590016247609.png

Apr 1, 2018
Hunter 41AC 1 Charleston
Wow I totally missed all of Mays posts. The hardtop looks awesome.
So it looks like you have it pushed flush up against the arch is that an accurate statement.

Aug 29, 2018
Hunter 420 Passage Sv
Have the Hardtop ready for final fitting. Marking where the Canopy Tubes will be on the hardtop so I can make add the Awning track that will hold the side canopy pieces. All of the material for the sides has been ordered and received. Next steps are to do the final installation and start making the side pieces. I left a small space between the back canopy tube and the arch.
Canopy Final Fit 2.jpg

Aug 17, 2020
Hunter 456 Vero Beach, FL
I built 60 hardtops for various sail and power boats using 1/2 thick starboard. I was an owner in a plastics machining and fabrication company. I own a 2004 456 Hunter. I am retired from the company and was the developer and installer for these projects. I worked with a canvas fabricator in Annapolis, Canvas Creations that is out of business due to owner death. I utilized a sheet oven and hot air welding for attachment to Starboard. Here are so photos of Georgia Song.
2017-11-06 06.00.19.jpg
2017-11-06 06.00.19.jpg2019-10-23 03.29.12.jpg
2019-10-23 03.29.12.jpg