Hard Starting Yanmar - cold weather

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

James Marohn

Remember reading a post a while ago about a hard starting yanmar. Was wondering if the author of the post came to any resolution... My Yanmar 3GM30 not only is hard to start, but blows what seems to me a tremendous amount of smoke (white to gray and very diesel smell) while cranking. Once the engine starts and warms up, subsequent starts are very smooth, push of the button. Someone once mentioned WD40. I'm an engine-idiot. Where in the engine do I put this wonderful chemical and how much? Tina & James Marohn Perelandra - Seattle

P

Pete

cold diesels

All the cold starting issues you mention are charastic of this engine,other then a engine block heater not much more to do. In extreme cold [below freezing] you could use either to start the engine but not recommened unless last resort. try puting the throttle at 1/2 to 3/4 position but be sure to pull back to slower rpm's when started. the engine block heater while a good idea is not very practicle on a pleasure boat,it needs to be on for at least one hour to warm up the block.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
James, Leave the WD40 At Home..

..a Yanmar seminar I attended cautioned against ether or any starting aid including WD40. The Rep. said even one application would break the compression rings. FYI, my 3GM30f is also cold-blooded. I am ging to have the injectors cleaned this service. It's probably it. RD

M

Mark Mowery

Hard Starting Yanmar

Had a cold blooded diesel in my H33, once the temp got below 50 it seemed to crank and crank and crank .... I did several things, including having the injectors rebuilt, but what cured the problem for me was adjusting the valve stem clearance to the recommended .020 per the Yanmar manual. Before that, the previous owner had them lashed down tight. I can only suppose the exhaust valves were being held open just enough that the loss of compression combined with cold fuel and air made it hard to start. Starts like a dream now.

Status
Not open for further replies.