hard start deisel

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jim

the deisel on my catalina 30 takes longer to start than I'd like. i hold the glow plug for 20 to 30 seconds and then crank for no more than 10 seconds. my understanding is that cranking for longer periods will overheat the starter. when it doesn't start, i repeat the process. it generally takes about 3 repeats to get it running. once runing, it works well. after it has run for a while, (such as going out onto the lake then shut off for a couple hours sailing, it will start again quikly) there is not smoke and it seems to run good, good oil pressure and takes it up to hull speed nicely, even against weather. fuel filters are new this year, but i was wondering about the glow plugs. the boat is a 1985. i am not sure about the hours on engine cause the tack was wired wrong before i got it and showed much higher rpms that actual. how do you test the glow plugs? are they the same as automotive glow plugs? any tips on where to purchase? jim

C

Chuck Reed

Easy fix

I will give you two web sites to check out. By adding a solenoid you will only have to hold the glow plugs in for about 10 seconds. I did this up grade to mine and I went from 30 seconds to 10. http://kindred-pirit.net/upgrades/solenoid.html http://users2.ev1.net/~barr/c36wiring.htm

J

John Visser

Good advice!

I like Chick's recommendation. I plan on doing the same. Until then, I've found that for the first start after a week of sitting, I use a full minute of glow adn 1/3 throttle, and she jumps to life sharply. Before, with 10 to 20 seconds, it was a painful, repeat process. Make sure that if you're doing a lot of cranking that you don't fill the water muffler. jv

B

Bob Camarena

Same Here

I, too, added a solenoid and it makes a world of difference. In the meantime, using both batteries will help. In a pinch, you can use a jumper wire directly from the hot terminal on your alternator to the glowplug connection.

D

Don

First thing to do is check the glow plugs.

With the engine cold, hit the glow plug button for about 15 seconds. The plugs should all be warm. If not, then you could have a bad glow plug (not likely), or a bad connection. Check you main engine wiring harness. If it has a black 8 pin plug at the instrument panel and another at the engine, you need to change them out for terminal strips, or just direct splice. These plugs get corroded inside and cause a multitude of electrical problems.

R

Richard

The correct address for the first link

The correct address for the first link is: http://kindred-spirit.net/upgrades/solenoid.html Thank you Capt. Al!

J

John Visser

Did it!

I installed a solenoid last weekend. Got it at an autoparts store, for $6.60. Installed using one of the exhaust studs as a mounting point. Cut the grey wire going to the glow plugs and using crimped ring terminals attached the ends to the solenoid, and made a short wire for the battery connection (from the starter solenoid). Now, instead of as much as 30 or more seconds to start on the first crank when cold, she lit after just 15 seconds. This is one of the best upgrades available. The only thing I'm thinking of adding are insulators (covers) for the hot terminals on the solenoid; and an alarm that will sound when the plugs are energized, just in case the solenoid ever sticks - though that is a bit extreme. Incidnetally, the plugs draw 20 Amps now - though I didn't measure the current before.

T

Tom Soko

Another Hint

I learned from a diesel seminar is to advance the throttle to at least 1/2 or 3/4 position. This gives the glow plugs something to vaporize when you start cranking. It sounds extreme, and at first I had visions of an outboard started at full throttle, but the advice works. The teacher was a former diesel assembler and has been repairing Universal/Westerbekes for the past 20+ years.

J

John Visser

Agree

The book says 1/3, but half works well and is easier to estimate on my rather sloppy Edson throttle lever.

C

Chris Gonzales

5411?

My 5411 requires about a minute of pre heat and 1/2 throttle to start. The owner's manual says 30 to 60 seconds of heat (and even to keep the heat on when cranking if especially cold outside) and an open throttle. When I was new to this boat and engine it surprised me that the engine did not start up after what seemed to be a long time holding the heat switch. During that time, I was given advice from people experienced with this engine to use "heat, lots of heat". 60 seconds seems like forever holding that dang switch, but, starting it that way ( I count to 60) the little engine starts first time, EVERY time. Maybe patience is involved?

Status
Not open for further replies.