HARD KNOTS, Newport 20 sailboat, sailing to HI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 21, 2005
Catalina 22 Cedar Creek Lake, Tool, TX
Updates?

I have read all of the threads here and his website. I have read journals of others that have made this voyage. Does anyone know if Robin has departed? Any updated info?

Jun 5, 1997
Coleman scanoe Irwin (ID)
R appears to have left on schedule; WFC improving

On the 19th Robin seems to have left his last tracks on the internet; saying that he was about to be dropped off on his boat and felt "anticlimactic" to finally leave after all the preparations. The weather forecast for the Hawaii passage looks pretty good right now. Although there is not yet a single stable Pacific High that keeps driving the Trades and provides protection against higher latitude lows penetrating too far south, a series of small highs moving rapidly in Easterly direction appears to produce almost the same effect till at least April 1st. By then, he could be about halfway. Fair winds and following seas to Robin; Flying Dutchman

B

Bruskie

Update

Just a short note to let you know that Robin is still in Santa Catalina. His knee blew out on him while picking up something on the deck. He was told to staff off his knee for a month but hopes to leave for Hawaii on 4/8/05 if he feels strong enough.

G

George

Yea, everybody blows a

knee out!!! How many athletes, or wannabes blow out thier knee. Just in time. Good luck, sailor.

Jun 6, 2004
Beneteau 235 Wrightsville Beach, NC
Ummm...

Man, Mr. Johnson's site was errrr...amusing. Some of the info and gear listed seemed a bit troubling such as detailed listing of guns and mp3 but forgetting to mention the EPIRB.... Just looking at the wording, pictures, boat, and general elan of his site left me wondering and scratching my head. Not so sure about this one... I wonder if this guy has left? Some serious swells at hand. At this stage, not much to say but to wish the lad luck and fair winds/weather. I am feeling a bit sorry for the cat, regardless. kh http://beneteau235.com

B

Bill B

Any News?

'Bruskie'... Any news about Robin? After reading all this I think we'd all like to be kept abreast of his progress.. Thx Bill B

B

Bruskie

UPDATES

Robin has been delayed at Catalina. The knee is getting better. He was planning to leave last week. However, he was offered a job with Catalina Adventure Tours as a diver and has an opportunity to get his captain's license. He needs to make some money. Apparently he incurred some additional costs while there such as medical bills, moorage, etc, and now needs to save some more money. He is not sure when he will be coming to Hawaii. However, he is still determined to do so. There might be a 30+ foot yawl named Perdida coming with him. You can get their website on Google "Log Of Perdida". I believe the twists in our plans almost always result in blessings we could never have imagined. I believe this will also be true for Robin. Thanks for your concerns and interest. I will let him know. Thanks Bruskie

Jun 5, 1997
Robin

I'm in Avalon Harbor, the knee has gotten worse again, and I have better equipment then most sailors of 30 years ago. I'm not rich by any means, and I did forget to update the supplies with some of the other pieces of equipment. -Robin

Jun 5, 1997
Phil, it looks like we are being hacked!!

I did NOT submit the previous post (entitled "Robin") although it appears (at least partly) under my name. Combined with the crackpot message it sure looks as if someone is having altogether a bit too much fun here!!! Flying Dutchman

Status
Not open for further replies.