Hard Grounding

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
rocky.jpg
We took this one in 2003. There were 3 kids borrowed a dad's boat to go fishing. They turned right before getting to the end of the jetty (at high speed in the dark). It put them all in the hospital. It took several weeks to get the boat off the jetty. Sailboats can't hit that hard. High tides don't uncover this jetty and they did hit several hours before this was taken on a falling tide.

Ken

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I may have touched some sand, in an attempt to validate the depth sounder was working properly of course, but these are impressive. This argues for always carrying some bottom paint & rollers, to make lemonade as it were.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
If you read any of the Patrick O'Brian novels, the English were repeatedly running the French aground :)

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Captain Joe Hazelwood of the Exxon Valdez.. I said Bud Light, not hard right !
Actually, his tipple was Johnny Black. Funny how his name is still reviled, when not one bit of the actual grounding was his fault. Of course, as master he was responsible, but he was never at fault for the grounding.

Feb 2, 2010
Island Packet 37 Hull #2 Harpswell Me
I'm curious about the French flag part. The average French sailor I know can sail and navigate circles around that average sailor I know in North America.
Being British, it is our dig at the auld enemy.