Harbor 20 replacement bilge hose - choice and install

Jul 8, 2023
W.D. Schock Harbor 20 Bristol Harbor (RI)
The bilge hose on my 2005 Harbor 20 is brittle (CAP+years of heat and cold) and I’ve had to replace several sections close to the pump. I’m thinking, though, that I need to just replace the entire line from pump to transom discharge, so I have two questions:

1. Any recommendations for a specific sturdy hose that will last for the foreseeable future?
2. Once the hose leaves the port locker, it disappears until it reaches the lazarette. It appears the only access to the hidden section would be by removing the bulkhead in the lazarette. Has anyone experienced doing that or did you just try to snake through a new one?

I’m not sure how hard removing the bulkhead would be or whether that would be easier than snaking the new hose (either by attaching it to the old hose, which might break because of its brittleness, or using a snaking tool, secured to the inside of the new tool somehow). Thanks! - Rob

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Trident 144 hose is a good choice. The important feature is a smooth bore. Corrugated hose reduces the pumps output.

Use the old hose to pull a rope through the lazarette. Feed the tail of the rope through the new hose and tie a stopper knot to keep the rope from pulling through the hose. One person pushes the hose through the lazarette while the other person pulls the rope. I've used this method to run sanitation hose behind cabinets. It should work in your situation too.