Happy to have a Hunter

Apr 11, 2014
Hunter 260 Lake Lanier
So I thought I'd share this experience, not to really bash other boats but to give the first hand account as to dealing with another boat.

I recently assisted a friend in retrieving his Catalina 250WK a couple of weeks ago from the FL coast. He decided that, after just purchasing and moving it there, he couldn't deal with the close calls of hurricanes. So, we moved it north to the local lake.

Just getting that boat on the trailer was challenging. As you know, since it is a wing keel, it sits much higher on the trailer on 6 pads instead of bunks. This also meant getting the trailer deep in the water. Problem was, even with the tongue extension, we ran out of usable ramp. That said, we actually dropped the trailer tires off of the edge of the ramp. Could've gone horribly wrong I know but, when you've driven 6 hours to get it, you really want to complete the mission.

Now that we've got it deep enough, or as deep as I'm willing to get it under these conditions, the two aft pads that the boat rest on keep flipping around. So, my friend has no choice but to go for a swim and keep them flipped over to the correct side. They can be adjusted and tightened but the hardware was seized beyond our "on the road" tooling capabilities.

We finally get her out of the water but the bow is some 1 inch from the roller. As good as she's gonna get given the circumstances so our 6 hour drive home turned into 8.5. 56 mph was the magic number.

Unstepping the mast was a bit more complex that on a H260. Partly because I believe the previous owner had some incorrect hardware installed.

My conclusion, the H260 is a sailboat designed to be trailered whereas the 250WK is designed so that it can be trailered. Huge difference. Now, if the 250WK never leaves the water, she's a fine boat to own I'm sure.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Great write-up. The ramp makes a huge difference as you pointed out. The other issue was the trailer. As much as I agree with you be careful about blaming the boat since the two biggest problems were not actually the boat. I hated loading my 260 at first. It was 100% because of the ramp. Now I love loading it by myself. It’s easier with help but easier is sooooo overrated.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Whatever floats your boat. My Hunter isn't trailerable. I have a glorified yard trailer.
My Mac26S was easy to trailer. Only thing is, we never took it anywhere. It stayed slipped the whole season.

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
@jwilcoxon78 ,
I agree with @Justin_NSA and @Kermit . The ramp really does make a difference, and if a marina has a marine lift for taking boats out of the water and putting them on a trailer, then that makes the deal for me. I personally will take a fixed, deep, solid wing keel over a swing or modified keel any day. Call me old fashioned, but that's just what I like. I've never taken my Cat 25 out of the water before with a trailer, but I have had her hauled out with a lift for a bottom job and hull inspection a few years ago. I really think it depends on where you're located. In a place like Galveston or Kemah, lifts and deep ramps are abundant, but if you're sailing in a smaller community or freshwater, I'd say a boat that's designed "to be trailered" would be much more suitable.

Apr 11, 2014
Hunter 260 Lake Lanier
@jwilcoxon78 ,
I agree with @Justin_NSA and @Kermit . The ramp really does make a difference, and if a marina has a marine lift for taking boats out of the water and putting them on a trailer, then that makes the deal for me. .
We were certainly on the search for a lift, but, given our short window didn't have the time. Plus, it turned out to be pulled out on a Sunday as oppose that Saturday so a lot of folks were closed.

The wind was so strong on Saturday that a small craft advisory was out so there's no way we could've made it happen then. Worked out a little better in that we had all day Saturday to do some trailer work, lights, tongue jack, etc.

He just reported to me this AM that she's now on the water, after hiring an outfit to step the mast and tune the rigging. May go out with him this weekend to check her out.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Sent you my phone number. Do I know your 260 too well. Yes. Do I know the Catalina 250 both wing and waterballast as well. Your friend needs to call as well

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Years ago we would trailer our C22 from Carlyle Lake Il to the Keys several times a year. We never found a really good ramp to load. Once we had arranged to have the boat lifted with one of those forklifts at a marina. When we got there it was broken and we needed to load and go. (The forklift had broken one of its metal lifting bars when it dropped a motor through the bottom of a boat.) We finally found another guy with a forklift who did it for $20 cash. I'm sure everyone who trailers their boat any distance has a great story.