Happy Halloween. Grandkids are great candy gathers

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I learned that cute kids get candy when they knock on doors. It is really something special.
It is a cultural thing.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I thought trick-or-treating was all but extinct! Is it still a thing??

I live in a semi-rural area and have no grandkids. Maybe it's more common than I thought. I hope so.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Still good here.. We sat out front with a big bowl of treats, and neighborhood kids, mostly in cute costumes, walked by with parents in tow.. some parents even got a little of the wine we were enjoying.. It was the first clear cool evening of the fall season here in south Louisiana.. Most enjoyable..

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It may surprise but the idea of Halloween is active in several locations, all of which are near water and have a relationship to the sea and sailing.
Derry, Northern Ireland: Popular belief is that the origins of Halloween come from the Gaelic pagan festival of Samhain. This event marked the end of the harvest and the onset of the darker period in the calendar year. They celebrate for 9 days. You can expect everything from costumed parades to guided ghost tours, haunted houses, and horror movie screenings. Don’t miss the Dragon Safari, where giant dragon footprints appear in St. Columb's Park.
Oaxaca, Mexico: Mexicans celebrate the Day of the Dead (Día de los Muertos) and for three days starting October 31st, the country turns into a flamboyant carnival.

Kind of makes our foraging for free candy for a couple of hours last evening unremarkable. But the little ones were exciting to watch. The young families in the neighborhood appeared to be enjoying it as much as the kids as they walked about with their cups of adult beverage chatting. Then there were the folk who really get into the experience decorating their yards for the night with all sorts of creep scary lights and ghouls.

I guess it is a way to close the book on a season of sailing and experience "the onset of the darker period in the calendar year". Not sure there is enough candy to get by until spring.
IMG_0049 2.jpg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Oaxaca, Mexico: Mexicans celebrate the Day of the Dead (Día de los Muertos) and for three days starting October 31st, the country turns into a flamboyant carnival.
20181029_204629.jpg20181027_222928.jpg
And believe me, those pint-sized little mercenaries know how to leverage their cuteness.
20181029_205003.jpg

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Our 100 year old neighborhood is famous in Wichita for trick-or-treating. They close off streets to safeguard the little hunter-gatherers.