Handrails

Jan 20, 2017
Yamaha 33 Vancouver
I'm about to pry off my handrails for refinishing/rebedding. Does anyone have the inside scoop about the fasteners? Bolted with nuts on either side, or nut on top?

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
It's been my experience, well, those can really open up the proverbial can of worms! Has the bedding compound failed? Leaking? Headliner? Access? Better to refinish in place, in my opinion.

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
The early Hunters award fastened with screws through the fiberglass into the core, and covered by bungs. If you can find circular teak bungs in a handrail, pull one out and check out the fastener. Then you will know what you have.

Sep 2, 2011
Hunter 27 Cherubini Alum Creek State Park
The early Hunters award fastened with screws through the fiberglass into the core, and covered by bungs. If you can find circular teak bungs in a handrail, pull one out and check out the fastener. Then you will know what you have.
The best way to get the bungs out is to twist a drywall screw into the center of the bungs. They should pop right out, albeit usually broken in pieces.

Jan 20, 2017
Yamaha 33 Vancouver
It's been my experience, well, those can really open up the proverbial can of worms! Has the bedding compound failed? Leaking? Headliner? Access? Better to refinish in place, in my opinion.
Normally, I'd do them in situ, but the handrails are in a terrible state, and need some exacting work to save them from ruin. I'd rather not replace them, preferring to keep everything original. As well, because the handrails are in a state, they could stand to be rebedded, as a cursory examination reveals that the bedding will fail within the next few years, as it is flaking away rather easily.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
If you don't see the fasteners in the cabin ceiling..... screwheads or nuts.... they're inset and bunged. Hand rails are designed to be firmly attached to the boat for safety. So... look inside the cabin again... very closely.. otherwise, follow the previously posted advice.