handheld marine gps

pupluv

Nov 11, 2007
- - wilmington, ca
Garmin GPS 72H Bundle Handheld GPS Receiver

Wal-Mart is selling this for $127, which seems very reasonable for a marine handheld gps. Anyone have experience with this particular model. I recall the 72 was the "Practical Sailor" choice but I don't recall which model.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
I have an old Garmin 72. It is very good at giving me latitude and longitude and a paper chart lets me fix my position. It also identifies all of the navigation marks within a mile or so of my position. I am pleased with it. It is now of such age that the celestial details no longer give me the tides.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I moved from Garmin 12xl to gps76cx years ago. I'm still struggling with the 76 menu structure. It's a good GPS but menu sucks!

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I have a Garmin GPS12 at the helm (for autopilot) and GPS72 at the radio (for DSC). Both are perfect for what I do and want them to do. Plus, charts on the boat, always.

The display info on the GPS12 is better than the 72. I don't know about the model you are looking at. You may want to search EBay for a good deal on a used one. Or, if you have a tablet with GPS that might serve you a little better. Just a thought.

pupluv

Nov 11, 2007
- - wilmington, ca
To answer my own question, the 72H is not a chartplotter so its use is limited. Of course, it does provide coordinates so you could find your location on a paper chart.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
A couple things to keep in mind if you go with the 72.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-water/handhelds-wrist-worn/gps-72h-/prod38309.html

From Garmin site it looks like the resolution is 120 X 160. I have some older B/W 76S's and their resolution is 180 X 240 so this one is even less.

Another thing to consider is that it has serial and USB interface but is not NEMA 0183 compatible like the 76sc in the comparison here ...

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-water/handhelds-wrist-worn/gps-72h-/prod38309.html

That might not be important but if it was NEMA 0183 compatible you could connect it to say a laptop with the free OpenCPN or SeaClear chartplotter programs and chart courses with them and then download the waypoints to the GPS. We used...

... that feature for our Florida trips and it worked great. A couple seconds to do the download and then go from waypoint to waypoint on the GPS. You can even change the route and send new waypoints in a minute or less.

So a couple things to consider. I haven't checked lately but we bought some 76S's off eBay for around $50 and some had never even been used so that might be an option also,

Sumner

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
[/FONT]

Aug 16, 2006
Ericson 32 Oregon coast
I did the same as Ross and developed waypoints

from paper charts. I then enter the way points into it and it takes me anywhere that I want to go. I like to figure waypoints for the entrances to harbors as being in the center of the entrance. I also develop a course line that is the best way to approach it which is generally at a right angle to a straight line across the entrance. Once, before I got a radar, it really paid off when I was returning to Oxnard from Catalina. A fog developed about 5 miles out and got thicker as I approached Oxnard. Staying on a set coarse to my waypoint the entrance appeared as I was about 1000 feet from the entrance. I was pointed dead center between the breakwater and the jetty. Talk about a beautiful sight !!

May 11, 2014
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant, AZ
I recently had a "GPS" discussion on the Catalina-22 forum (http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=166532). Based on those inputs, I recently purchased a Bad Elf Pro through Amazon for $146. I really like it: great little handheld (or, hang it around your neck from the included lanyard) great battery life, very fast to lock on satellites, speed readings in knots or mph, very easy and intuitive user interface, simple operation, data-logger for plotting my tracks, distance travelled, heading. Easy upload / download / firmware updates through an iPad or iPhone app with BlueTooth connectivity. Works will all the major navigation apps for an iPad or iPhone to be your handheld chart plotter. I can use it sailing, biking, hiking, or whatever. I'me very pleased with my purchase - suggest that you give them a look. Good luck.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
To answer my own question, the 72H is not a chartplotter so its use is limited. Of course, it does provide coordinates so you could find your location on a paper chart.
You can also do this with an iPhone, for free. Assuming a person already has one of course. It has a gps chip that does not require cell. Just download a free app ie isailor, and you have your coordinates. You don't even need to download or buy charts for the app. But you can for cheap if desired. And since the iPhone would only be used for coordinates in the stated navigation process, it would only be used in the cabin. This eliminates the argument that the iPhone is not waterproof nor daylight viewable.

Edit: or there are other apps that let you use noaa charts that can be downloaded for free. The jist is that the iPhone etc can make for fabulous and free or nearly free in-cabin gps's/chartplotters.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
You can also do this with an iPhone, for free. Assuming a person already has one of course. It has a gps chip that does not require cell. Just download a free app ie isailor, and you have your coordinates. You don't even need to download or buy charts for the app. But you can for cheap if desired. And since the iPhone would only be used for coordinates in the stated navigation process, it would only be used in the cabin. This eliminates the argument that the iPhone is not waterproof nor daylight viewable.

Edit: or there are other apps that let you use noaa charts that can be downloaded for free. The jist is that the iPhone etc can make for fabulous and free or nearly free in-cabin gps's/chartplotters.
Perhaps your iPhone might be a good back up for a marine gps, but I'd be very hesitant to put all my eggs in one, non waterproof basket. As you said, keeping it in the cabin is a possibility (very limiting should the weather require seeing the gps at the helm), but a cup of coffee or a soda could leave one with no gps at all. For around a hundred bucks, it makes no sense not to have the right tool for the job.

Jan 6, 2010
Pup,

Personally, I don't like handhelds. The screen is too small, it's not a chartplotter with more bells-n-whistles & harder to see in moving conditions.

I have found over the years that settling on any boat item to save money is the opposite of what you should do. You only get what you pay for & most times cheaper does you no justice.

You can check Ebay & find some good prices on chartplotters (I use the GPS162), bigger screens are the bomb man. I believe doing it right the first time, you only do it once & will be happy. Beware of letting price dictate you choice. Just my suggestion pal.

CR

Aug 16, 2009
Hunter 1986 H31 California Yacht Marina, Chula Vista, CA
The used Garmen 60csx I got years ago is color and is 0183 compatible. For a handheld, it does everything I could want though my son's new Iphone does more faster. Then again he paid almost exactly 10X what I did.

BayMan

Sep 12, 2012
Hunter 450 Unspecified
Use your laptop, a $30 GPS puck and free OPENCPN for a real chartplotter. Use your iPhone and the free navigation app and a waterproof otter case for the phone to solve the water issue to get your back up system. All of that for less than your handheld GPS and it's better.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
A dedicated, handheld gps is essential. Don't kid yourself. A handheld charplotter has limited use because of it's screen size... but used as a gps with the display set on large the handheld can provide essential information that is easily readable in all conditions and is waterproof... BTW this unit is 12 years old.... and still operating flawlessly.

Attachments

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Perhaps your iPhone might be a good back up for a marine gps, but I'd be very hesitant to put all my eggs in one, non waterproof basket. As you said, keeping it in the cabin is a possibility (very limiting should the weather require seeing the gps at the helm), but a cup of coffee or a soda could leave one with no gps at all. For around a hundred bucks, it makes no sense not to have the right tool for the job.
The op said he would use it for coordinates, then plot using paper charts. Most do this type of work in the cabin, not at the helm.
I agree that the boat's main GPS needs to be robust and intended for marine use. However, if the user is merely looking for coordinates to practice analog navigation near shore, an existing mobile device is a good and free option. He may subsequently decide he needs a real chartplotter not just a gps, and he's saved his $127.
Also, you can get cases for the phone that are waterproof and very tough. And the cost of the case might be justified in the diverse use of the device. IE it's good to have one anyway.
Everyone's situation can be unique. For the op I think he will do well to practice with the free option then decide what he ultimately needs.

I have a handheld. The Gpsmap 76csx. Fabulous. It's at the helm so the small screen is not bad. I put it on full map with no data boxes, and use the AP control head for data boxes. This allows the little screen on the garmin to be reasonably sized.

The main reasons I like the handheld are that it uses a tiny amount of power, it's easy to remove and stow, and it has battery backup - if there's an electrical issue with the boat, I would still have many hours of navigation ability, used intermittently for days. Additional AA batts aboard allow long term use on the event of electrical failure.

I also use an iPhone as backup, and a PC tablet as 2nd backup and planner, and for loading free charts of far-off islands that I can dream of visiting. :)

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Other than a low power-draw backup- why?
Doesn't it make sense to you to have a back up navigation tool with a completely different source of information? Lose your cell signal and you lose ALL navigation. In inclement weather this could be fatal.
If you haven't the power aboard to run a hand held GPS, then you've probably got some other pressing issues that need addressing immediately. us$127.00 just isn't too much money to spend for a little security, if the phone fails.
I realize we are talking about apples and oranges here as regards my boat usage and yours, but even on my 18 foot center console Mako, I took a handheld GPS because it was waterproof, pretty sturdy (I don't know how much rough treatment your phone will take) and very easy to read in sun, rain, sleet and snow, just like the USPS.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
The 72H is very very basic.

Without much searching I found a new GPSMAP 78 for $189 (CAD) and a 62s for $230. I know it is more money, but it is much more function. The 78 might be a bit older, but it is substantially better than the 72H.

The 72H does not have any map memory, so you are limited to way points only. On the 78 you have the base map and you can add additional maps. The maps cost extra, I know, but they might be worth it. In a pinch there are tools to build maps (I did that for my sailing area a while back, before switching to a chartplotter).

I would save the money and go for something a bit better.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Lose your cell signal and you lose ALL navigation. In inclement weather this could be fatal.
Not reallly true. On a derlivery trip, I navigated from 125 miles off the coast of the Yucatan, right into the jetties at Progresso, Yucatan with an Iphone 4. The boatowner did not have the charts for Yucatan in his big chartplotter- he "wasn't GOING there", so all it showed was a blue line for the coast. He hadn't planned to rip a sail up either.

Then the Iphone got us around the corner to Isla Mujeres, where he DID have the chips