Halyard shackles

Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
Hey everyone, quick question, I need to redo my running rigging and I’m looking at shackles, I know some people use soft shackles on their sheets but how about on the halyards? Would soft shackles be a good idea? They cost about the sam as regular shackles but are they as durable as stainless ones?

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
I've used soft shackles on my main halyard both on our 34 and now on our 39.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I have grown away from pricey quick release snap shackles, Tyleska shackles, etc. and now prefer the simple stamped "d" shackle with captive pin.... keep it simple and economical.
1578369002311.jpeg

There's actually a knot for tying the line to the shackle, the "halyard hitch".... but if you want to go without a shackle, as many sailors do nowadays, Charlie Jones' buntline hitch recommendation is excellent.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Use a regular SS shackle if you want durable and easy for someone else to rig.

If you only do it yourself, and you're careful, you can use a knot (on you sized boat). But on that dark and stormy, or when you're trying to rig the boat quickly, or when you have to ask someone else to do it for you -- you're more likely to have an issue.

IF the knot let's go, and the line runs into the mast, you're SOL.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I would never use a soft shackle on a roller furling halyard that stays up for more than a day sail. I'd be worried about chafe. A specific shackle (a halyard shackle, as in a post above) is produced for exactly that purpose and I can't imagine one reason not to use the shackle designed for that purpose.