Halyard Restrainers

Oct 29, 2012
Catalina 30 TRBS MkII Milwaukee
I have searched previous posts, and have found a lot of interesting information.
Finally going to replace our Hood 810LD with a Harken Unit 1 cruising furler. The old system did not have a halyard restrainer, and the jib was always right up to the masthead. This allowed for the recommended 6 to 8 degrees angle. This is also achieved by a pendant at the bottom. With the sail off the deck, it provides better visibility as well allowing the sail to come across better when tacking.
The manual mentions a halyard restrainer, and the pics of halyard wrap are not pretty.
Has anyone installed a new furler and added a restrainer?
I will also put a cover on the masthead to prevent water coming down the compression post as pointed out in some very insightful posts I searched.
Thanks in advance to those who chose to opine

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
Get a CDI, none needed. same one has worked for 18 years non-stop

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The manual mentions a halyard restrainer, and the pics of halyard wrap are not pretty.
Has anyone installed a new furler and added a restrainer?

If this is the model and manufacturer you've chosen, why would you even consider ignoring their advice?

I am NOT suggesting you did what I did, because that doesn't help you at all, does it?

I did my homework many years ago and chose a ProFurl which has a built in halyard restrainer above the upper swivel.

If I had chosen a Harken I damn well would have installed a restrainer at the top of the mast.

It ain't worth the damage if you don't.

What's so hard? Or am I missing something in the question?

Oct 29, 2012
Stu.
Thanks for your reply. After years of reading your posts I respect your opinion.
Being that Harken is a well known here in the Midwest by local North Sails reps as well as riggers, and racers I chose this brand.
I'm asking the question because I'm interested in what others may have to say. Only because a manufacturer adds an advisory statement in their installation manual does not mean it's a requirement.
For over thirty years since the boat was built it had the Hood SeaFurl 810 LD without a restrainer without problems. Local sail-makers, riggers and racers differ in opinion.
By the physical characteristics of the Catalina Masthead and Stays of the tall rig would seem that it lends itself to the 8 to 10 degrees as suggested, as well as being within top 4" of foil.
I did get a restrainer to install should I require it in two weeks when I will un-step the mast. Just trying to have all ducks line up and bases covered. It will only require creating a shorter pendant at the bottom if the restrainer is installed. And the six inches it may lower the sail will not defeat the purpose I had the sail built not "sweep" across the deck.
Again, just trying to get input from those like you who post regularly with so ever sage and wise advise.
121334[/ATTACH]

To prevent wraps, the halyard must exert a slight pull to the rear.
1. Halyard swivel should be within top 4" (100mm) of foil unless a halyard restrainer is used.
2. Halyard must pull slightly to rear (8 - 10°).
3. Halyard must be snug, but not too tight.

Attachments

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
I just installed the Proful system on mine and comes with the restrainer. In my previous boat, a 51 footer, I ran a threaded rod and nuts through the shackle and covered it with tape. Cheap and it works.

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
Some boats have a sheave block bolted to the mast below the halyard sheave. Route the halyard from the furler through there and then up the mast to the halyard sheave. This will give you the angle required.

Oct 29, 2012
Thanks for the reply Cayennita. I will pop rivit a sheave from Harken just below where the halyard exits the masthead. My question was more about the existing furler that for thirty years never had one without ever having experienced a halyard wrap. The original instructions from Hood called for an angle greater than 10 degrees was adequate. I will still be able to get the sail almost as high as before the new sheave. I figure it's more of a manufacturers recommendation to cover their backside then a requirement.
The sheave has a removable pin to allow placing the halyard in it

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
Some boats have a sheave block bolted to the mast below the halyard sheave. Route the halyard from the furler through there and then up the mast to the halyard sheave. This will give you the angle required.
having that sheave mounted makes a better path than the friction restrainer ...but i am not sure after you set the sail and leave it that it really makes any difference...one thing for sure it would put some flexibility in the setup as opposed to rigid ...and we all know flexible is always good in a structure of any kind

Feb 26, 2004
I figure it's more of a manufacturers recommendation to cover their backside then a requirement.
Thanks for the kind words, coho.

What they are saying is that not all boats have the same connections at the mast so to avoid halyard rap AND DAMAGAE TO THIS VERY EXPENSIVE PIECE OF GEAR YOU ARE INSTALLING, do this the right way.

If you consider that covering their backsides perhaps you might want to reconsider that they are trying to save YOU grief and aggravation.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
My ProFurl unit has a "Darth Vader"(helment) at the top of the foil to prevent wrap. When I put a Schaeffer furler on my B235, I put a "spinnaker shackle guard" ( a dounghnut, really) on the halyard to prevent wrap. It prevented the halyard from passing between the mast and forestay/foil. Might not work for all applications, but it did prevent the halyard from rotating by the guard hitting the mast where it is close to the forestay/foil- kind of a stopper, I guess. Same effect as in post 5.

Harken cannot make a unit to fit every possible application. And not every application needs the same setup due to space available and the fact it may work well without it..

Feb 26, 2004
Harken cannot make a unit to fit every possible application. And not every application needs the same setup due to space available and the fact it may work well without it..
...and ONLY will work well without it IF the angle of the halyard to the top swivel is what they recommend.

Ron's right.

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
While sailing north in the Gulf stream against a north easter at night. I partially furled the genoa. Around midnight after slaming down on a square back wave the headstay broke and came down with thw sail. I quckly turned downwind and with my wife driving, I used the spare halyards to support the mast. It was pure luck and quick action by us. We were going from Trinidad to Maine in our home. An Idylle 51.
Were about 150 miles from Charlestown and had no choice but to go downwind to Jacksonville. The headstay had two plates at the mast head and both sheared off. During the night while furling the halyard wrapped around the headstay. My fault, night time, rough seas. Powerfull winch, etc. it was a profurl system without a restraint.
Had two new 1/4" platesmade in Jacksonville, reinstalled everything minus the seized upper swivel and drum. Once in Charlestown I bought a new headstay and a Harken system.