Halyard Options for 1968 Mariner 19: Advice Needed

Jul 14, 2019
Oday Mariner 19 Wild Honey
Hi, all-
I have a 1968 Mariner 19 with most of its original rigging. Earlier this week, I broke the fiber line that connects to the cable portion of the main halyard. I'd really like to replace it with the same set-up (natural fiber and wire cable), but the boat yard I use is recommending I just use a nylon rope from start to finish. Has anyone had good luck keeping with the original set up and avoiding nylon? The jib halyard is in great shape, as are the sheets for both sails.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide,
Kate

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
Wire/rope halyards were a way to reduce stretch prior to the introduction of synthetic fiber low stretch lines and are no longer needed or recommended.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Don’t forget to replace the sheaves when you bring the halyards into this century.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Use good, marine grade, double braid polyester line. Not nylon. Nylon is too stretchy for halyards.

5/16” should do the job. Consider New England rope’s sta-set-x, Samson’s xls, Yale uls.

For a little more money you can get less stretch and higher performance. look at New England ropes’.vpc and Samson’s mlx . They have some high tech, low stretch fiber blended with polyester in the core, for less stretch.

All the ropes I mention are suitable for a recreational cruiser or casual club racer and give you a lot “bang for the buck”. Moderately low stretch at a moderate price. . Good performance for your money

Nylon triple strand is good for dock lines. Stretch is a good characteristic of dock lines. Halyards are supposed to be as low stretch as possible

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Welcome to SBO kmiles16. You have made an excellent decision to become a member of this incredibly skilled, intelligent and experienced crew. These guys are amazing.
As a fellow Mariner owner, my best advice is to listen to these guys, they know what they're talking about. The other thing is, consider joining the Mariner Class Association. Those guys are fantastic when it comes to all things Mariner.
https://www.usmariner.org

-Will (Dragonfly)

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
google "wire to rope halyards" if you want to keep your boat somewhat vintage. Theres's nothing wrong with wire to rope, it will certainly do a fine job... but you may find it is more expensive than simply replacing with a low stretch Dacron double braid.... I don't recommend sta set x .it will get stiff and dirty much faster than the others. Solid colors show less dirt.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
StaSet-x is available in solid colors as well as white. In my experience, it doesn’t get any dirtier or stiffer than other double braid polyester. But it is a little stiffer when new, as Joe mentioned, than regular Staset or xls or uls polyester double braids

I personally prefer mlx from Samson or vpc from NER, but lots of cruisers swear by staset-x from New England Ropes.

A wire to rope splice adds about $100 to the cost of materials, and wire is heavy to have aloft . It has almost no stretch or creep, which is the one good feature.

Your boat, your budget, your choice.