Halyard mystery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 8, 2006
Catalina 30' Mk I Norfolk,VA
I am one of those infamous people who used a messenger (despite my better judgment)to replace my main halyard. All was smooth until the messenger (bitter end) shot up the mast when the 30 times heavier main halyard landed on the deck. My 100' messenger line was not tied off to the bow rail or anything else (DON'T DO THIS!!) After staring 42' up for 5 minutes and using language I'M not old enough to hear, I realized the messenger is in a coiled rats nest near the top of the mast. In the picture, it goes left and is mating with the port shroud. Tied off to the base of the mast is another halyard (I think) that I discovered goes up the aft side of the mast, when yanking on it, it pulls tight, but comes down nowhere. It just leads to a pulley on the left side of the top of the mast. From the top down, it's long enough to coil about 30' on deck. At first I thought it was another (spare???) halyard, but none of this makes sense. There's no line coming back down from the top. The jib and spinnaker halyard are clearly set up (checking out other lines), but this appears to be the "orphan halyard." The attached picture shows the mystery, at least where it is at the top. Can anyone with a 30 tell me what this is, or whether you have the mystery halyard also? I was hoping to use this to hoist a bosun's chair or Mast Mate to get up there, but there's no other free end. In case ya wonder, there are no internal lines in the mast.

Status
Not open for further replies.