Halyard line

May 19, 2024
Catalina 30 MKII Chicago
My current halyards (both main and jib) are in pretty bad condition so I am planning to replace them. What is a good quality halyard line (brand, material, etc)? I dont need anything super fancy, just weekend daysailing around Lake Michigan. No racing or anything extreme. My main priority is something that will give me a good number of years of safe and worryfree use. Thanks in advance!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Yeah I understand you don't want to spend a bunch.
I urge you to compare the cost of Yacht Braid vs. a modern cordage alternative. I think the cost differential is well worth the improvement in the sailing characteristics of your boat. When a gust hits the sail plan won't stretch and that energy will traslate to more speed = fun. If the gust goes to all stretch the boat will heel excessively and be less fun. The spouse will complain.
I've long thought that it doesn't matter if you race or not. A very low stretch halyard is well worth the cost the you don't have to look up at a saggy sail. Sailing is a kinetic sport and having good sail shape means fun sailing. If your running rigging is tired treat your self to the good stuff and rejoice in the better performance.

May 19, 2024
Catalina 30 MKII Chicago
Yeah I understand you don't want to spend a bunch.
I urge you to compare the cost of Yacht Braid vs. a modern cordage alternative. I think the cost differential is well worth the improvement in the sailing characteristics of your boat. When a gust hits the sail plan won't stretch and that energy will traslate to more speed = fun. If the gust goes to all stretch the boat will heel excessively and be less fun. The spouse will complain.
I've long thought that it doesn't matter if you race or not. A very low stretch halyard is well worth the cost the you don't have to look up at a saggy sail. Sailing is a kinetic sport and having good sail shape means fun sailing. If your running rigging is tired treat your self to the good stuff and rejoice in the better performance.
I am currently leaning towards Sta-set line. Seems like a decent quality for cost. Agree that higher quality would be better but have to stay on budget :) Any thoughts on the sta-set line?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
It’s OK. Don’t go to Stay Set X. It is too stiff and doesn’t go around blocks easily. It adds friction. We’re assuming you raise and lower halyards for each sail. If that’s not the case, then there might be another Rx.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
As seen in Cruising World magazine.

Polyester (Dacron): For decades, polyester has been the go-to rope for cruising-boat halyards and sheets. It’s cost efficient, strong, and resists ultraviolet radiation.